Full-Time Sanitation Supervisor
Responsible for planning, organizing and supervising the day-to day Sanitation Department Operations for the City of Douglasville. This includes the collection and disposal of solid waste, yard waste collection and mulching, monitoring and coordinating the activities of the city’s solid waste and recycling program; works with considerable independence in scheduling work and exercises wide discretion in determining the proper and most effective work methods under the direction and as designated by the Department Director. Unusual situations may be referred to the Department Head for resolution.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participates in and directs the daily collection and disposal of household garbage, yard waste/trash, recycling collection, assuring that the city solid waste policies are adhered to;
- Plans the work, schedules activities and sets standards, rules and regulations for various activities of the Sanitation Department;
- Participates in and directs the repair and maintenance of equipment;
- Interviews subordinates in charge of various phases of work and gives them specific orders, discusses work progress and ascertains the amount of materials and supplies needed;
- Inspects the various activities of the division and makes recommendations for changes in practices;
- Sees that records are properly kept and reports are correctly prepared. Participates in providing reports to the Department Director, local, State and other related agencies;
- Monitors and coordinates activities of the City’s Solid Waste and Recycling Collection;
- Requisitions and checks for approval for all supplies, materials and equipment used in the Sanitation Department;
- Interviews candidates for employment with the Sanitation Department and related positions;
- Keeps records on inventory, service and maintenance work performed;
- Responsible for managing contractors and projects as designated by the Department Director;
- Responsible for managing annual contracts and agreements as designated by the Department Director;
- Supervises certain construction and maintenance of buildings, facilities and grounds in general; supervises and physically participates in a variety of manual labor tasks as necessary;
- Operates heavy equipment such as but not limited to backhoes, track loaders, motor graders and excavators; Drives and maintains variety of trucks and equipment; Uses and supervises the use of a variety of tools;
- Supervises Crew Chief positions and other employees in the Maintenance and Sanitation Department as designated by the Department Director;
- Performs routine upkeep, maintenance and cleanliness of facilities, tools, vehicles, equipment and field work site/areas, including the maintenance shop and surrounding area;
- Ensures that proper supplies and materials are ordered and on hand for all tasks; Completes daily reports and sees that records are properly kept and that reports are prepared as designated by the Department Director;
- Financial Responsibilities: Accept, receive, and/or collect payments; accountable for inventory/property management; and make recommendations that impact the budget;
- Completes Performance Evaluations of subordinates;
- Calls and supervises crew(s) for after-hours work and events;
- Must be available 24/7;
- Performs other job related duties as directed by the department head. May be required to supervise aspects of Maintenance Department as directed, which may include but is not limited to vehicle/equipment maintenance, facilities maintenance, street repairs and related work;
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a High school diploma/ GED and a minimum of five (5) years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of solid waste collection and disposal;
- Ability to coordinate Sanitation Department work;
- Ability to prepare reports;
- Ability to direct the work of employees;
- Ability to get along well with the public;
- Must be in excellent physical condition.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision, discipline and performance evaluation;
- Knowledge of record keeping principles and procedures;
- Skill in coordinating the work of others;
- Skill in communicating clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to evaluate a problem and identify solutions;
- Ability to work with considerable independent judgment.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a valid State of Georgia Class B CDL Driver’s License
Requires sitting long periods at a desk; answering telephone; completing paperwork; walking to perform needed office tasks. Requires standing, dragging, pushing and lifting of sanitation carts, cases of sanitation bags and tools up to 60 lbs. Stooping, crouching, bending, squatting and kneeling to assemble, load and unload sanitation carts, prepare, load and deliver sanitation equipment. Reaching and twisting in chair to reach phone and files: driving throughout the city in a city vehicle to supervise sanitation operation, deliver sanitation carts and bags and respond to complaints from residents. Writing and answering telephone in daily duties of job; static, rotational, flexing and extension of head and neck needed to answer phone; near acuity vision, color vision and up, down right and left field of vision needed; required speaking, hearing and dealing with employees and the public.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Approximately four hours per day in the office answering the telephone, scheduling, and performing various other office tasks. Approximately four hours per day is spent outdoors in all types of weather walking and driving. The outdoor activities include but are not limited to supervision of the sanitation crews, inspection of vehicles and equipment, supervising and participating in the maintenance and repairs to vehicles and equipment, responding to complaints from residents and commercial customers, and insuring that violations to the City of Douglasville Solid Waste Ordinances are reported to the City of Douglasville Code Enforcement Department. The functions of this position are performed in all types of weather conditions, constant noise, fumes / odor hazards, dust / mites hazards.
How to ApplyApply online here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=3a1e9ad3-18df-4db4-b5e3-0105eee3c8ca&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
417 total views, 0 today