Full-Time Research Director
Position: Research Director
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Project Director, Allied Progress
Allied Progress, a project of the New Venture Fund, seeks a Research Director to support its work standing up for consumers and holding Wall Street special interests and their allies in Congress and the White House accountable.
The Research Director will be responsible for leading the research department, and – working alongside senior leadership – with crafting research strategy for specific projects and the organization as a whole.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage the day-to-day research activities for organization, supervising a team of researchers on a daily basis; oversee their training, workflow, and work product, and providing them with leadership, feedback, and guidance;
- Manage execution of public records research, including submission of Freedom of Information Act requests (and state open records requests), and review of responsive records;
- Work with senior leadership of the organization to define and determine research objectives and priorities that support campaign goals and strategies;
- Develop and execute both short and long-term research plans to support those campaign goals and strategies;
- Work with the organization’s leadership to integrate broader investigatory techniques to support research plans;
- Author and/or oversee preparation of detailed research reports/books and other products that have clear narrative arcs;
- Manage the rapid response research efforts of the organization, including identifying rapid response opportunities and crafting rapid response products;
- Oversee fact-checking of organizational work products;
- Serve as chief spokesperson for research for organization for partner organizations and other key stakeholders; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 5+ years experience managing research and crafting research strategy;
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role, particularly with overseeing staff and consultants;
- Ability and comfort with managing up;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines; and
- Proven track record for being a self-starter.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Interest in consumer finance and financial regulation helpful, but not required;
- Experience working with research systems and structures;
- Exceptional communicator; and
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical.
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Smart political judgement and acumen;
- Handles her/himself well under pressure;
- Extremely well organized with strong attention to detail;
- Flexible personality;
- Sense of humor; and
- Works well in and contributes to a collegial environment.
New Venture Fund Careers
The New Venture Fund (NVF) is a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How to ApplyHow to Apply Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Research Director Applicant” in the subject line.
38 total views, 1 today