Temporary Ranch Maintenance Hand – Tomahawk Ranch – Girl Scouts of Colorado
Summer Camp Counselor/Ranch Maintenance Hand at Tomahawk Ranch
Make a difference in the life of a girl and spend an unforgettable summer in the Rocky Mountains! Tomahawk Ranch is located one-hour southwest of Denver in Bailey, Colorado. Activities include arts and crafts, backpacking, boating, horseback riding, zip lining, farm with ranch animals, dance & drama, archery and sports, photography, international cultures, nature and science, astronomy, homesteading, gardening, and outdoor skills. Camp themes include Wizarding, Fantasy (Percy Jackson, Zombies, Renaissance), Wild West & Mountain Adventure! Tomahawk Ranch is licensed by the State of Colorado and accredited by the American Camp Association.
Summer camp is a great way to add work experience and desirable skills to your resume – especially for those pursuing a degree in education or recreation!
Pay Rate: 17.50-19.50/hour includes room, board, meals for duration of camp season.
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT: May 15-September 9, 2023
Summer Camp Ranch Hand Maintenance General Duties:
- Maintain site areas as directed by Director Staff.
- Work on a team of 3-5 other horse and barn staff.
- Work in conjunction with Site Manager & Maintenance Specialist.
- As a team, care for a herd of 15-20 horses including but not limited to; feeding, grooming, tacking, general first aid of animals, mucking.
- Responsible for driving tractor & truck to assist with feeding responsibilities.
- Assist Barn Specialist with daily care of various barn animals when needed.
- Help maintain the cleanliness and organization of all farm/barn/arena/pasture areas.
- Adhere to all health, safety, security, and emergency procedures.
- Participate as a professional member of the total staff of GSCO.
- Participate as an active member of the camp staff by performing camp wide duties and responsibilities.
- Present a positive image to parents and visitors through attitude, dress, and courtesy.
- Work plans are developed with the Director, Site Manager & Maintenance Specialist in conjunction with camp program goals, policies, activity procedures and this job description.
- Support the efforts and commitments of Girl Scouts of Colorado in JEDI practices.
- In accordance with the philosophy of Girl Scouts of Colorado, the person filling this position may occasionally be required to carry out or assist with other tasks in addition to the duties listed on this job description.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Good skills in carpentry, fencing repair, and general maintenance required.
- Vehicle and machinery maintenance skills required.
- Ability to drive a tractor, use a backhoe preferred.
- Proficient animal care and known safe practices around equine & farm animals.
- Proven ability to work without direct supervision.
- Janitorial and housekeeping skills.
- Western riding skills.
- Horse care and safe practices around equine & farm animals.
- Project voice to give instructions over 100 ft. in outdoor riding ring.
- Ride 6-8 hours daily, 6-7 days per week.
- Lift and/or carry heavy and/or bulky items up to 50lbs such as saddles, hay bales, feed and filled wheelbarrows.
- Willingness to maintain the standards, carries out the purpose and adheres to the policies of the camp and the Girl Scout movement.
- Pass FBI/CBI criminal record check, document legal employment status.
- Work as a team member.
- Anticipate and prevent accidents.
- Meet emergencies with good judgment and calmness.
- Flexible and adaptable in dealing with changing situations and settings.
- Adaptable to the camp setting and community life.
- Work and live with others within an equal opportunity employment environment.
- Leadership and organization skills.
- Training/certification for specific activities if assigned.
- Knowledge of Girl Scout outdoor program (or willingness to learn).
- Ability to act as a role model in accordance with the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate with other staff for the benefit of the camp.
- Riding staff must be able to appropriately handle horses in addition to assisting children in any situation.
- Must be able to care for the physical, mental and emotional needs of horses, barn animals and campers.
- At least 21 years old or have completed high school or equivalent.
- Must hold a valid and current driver’s license and be able to meet motor vehicle background check standards for GSCO and GSCO insurance standards.
- Current first aid and CPR certification desirable.
- Western riding skills, required.
- Experience in horse & rider classification, required.
- Previous riding instruction, preferred.
- Experience driving tractors, backhoes, or other heavy equipment, preferred.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Camps are at altitudes of 7,200 to 9,000 feet.
- Program activities are completed outdoors and are often strenuous.
- Staff shares living and bathroom quarters with other camp staff.
- Many campers and staff who come to camp have little or no other horseback riding experience.
- The riding program is carried out with a barn, two instructional arenas and trails throughout camp.
- Activities are often strenuous, including moving horse feed, grooming, barn cleaning and equipment repair.
- Days start as early as 6AM and finishes around 9PM.
- Camp living and activity areas are spread over many acres.
We hope you consider working for Girl Scouts of Colorado at Tomahawk Ranch this summer! Each summer is a life changing experience where you will make a difference in the lives of girls, gain valuable experience and resume skills, make amazing friendships, and have the most fun you can imagine!
For more information about Tomahawk Ranch please visit our website!
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
How to ApplyFor more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website. https://gscolorado.workbrightats.com/jobs/975566-286035.html
13 total views, 2 today