Full-Time Patent Paralegal
Holzer Patel Drennan is seeking a Patent Paralegal to join its team in Downtown Denver, Colorado! The right candidate will be based in Colorado, have 2+ years of intellectual property law experience and will provide administrative support to our attorneys. We pride ourselves on having a professional team and can provide:
- Work/Life Balance
- Competitive Compensation/Benefits
- Career Advancement
- Supportive Management
This position is primarily responsible for the creation, revision, and filing of US and PCT prosecution documents, and will support various intellectual property attorneys in managing their client portfolios. This position is also responsible for reviewing and maintaining a docket, for timely reporting of communications to the client and foreign associates, and for timely handling of various prosecution formalities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages communications and patent docket activities for assigned clients
- Prepares patent filing documents, shells, correspondence, etc. relating to USPTO, foreign offices, and foreign associates on patent matters for assigned clients
- Performs USPTO filings through electronic filing system (Foundation IP) for assigned clients
- Supports attorneys in performing patent preparation, prosecution, and counseling functions
- Communicates client-specific reports relating to patent matters for assigned clients
- Implements client portfolio transfers (in and out)
- Review and manage files and docket for deadlines, understand docket and deadlines and action needed on each file
- Communicate with appropriate attorneys and team members about docket
- Provide assistance with incoming files to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Assist with document review, edits and finalization
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate at least the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; develops alternative solutions; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Client Service – Responds promptly to client needs; responds to requests for service assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
- Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
- Cost Consciousness – Contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; upholds a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning and Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance and Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; 2 or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Paralegal certificate from ABA approved program preferred.
- Familiar with USPTO (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office) Procedures, Rules and Requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently, prioritize assignments and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Foundation IP experience a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. Foundation IP experience a plus.
This is a full-time, regular position with competitive pay and benefits including health, medical, vision, dental, life, 401k, paid holiday, generous paid time off policy, and additional benefits. Holzer Patel Drennan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about our firm, please visit our website at www.hpdlaw.com. Holzer Patel Drennan is committed to equal employment opportunity for all persons, regardless of race, color, religion, sex or gender, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
How to ApplyPlease provide a cover letter along with your resume for consideration. All inquiries will be kept in strict confidence.
120 total views, 1 today