Full-Time Operations Technician (#23-66808)
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
For more information, visit SDGEnews.com or connect with SDG&E on Twitter (@SDGE), Instagram (@SDGE) and Facebook.
Responsible for operation and assist in maintenance of a 2×1 combined cycle power generation facility utilizing GE 7FA combustion turbines and GE D11 steam turbine. Responsible for operation of a remotely located simple cycle GE LM6000 combustion turbine. Control systems to include Emerson Ovation and GE Mark VI.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate control panels during start-up, shutdown, normal, and emergency operations on gas and steam turbines, heat recovery steam generators and other balance of plant equipment in accordance with operating procedures and instructions to maintain a safe and efficient operation. Synchronize and parallel generator to regulate voltage, frequency, and load.
- Develop a clear understanding of all plant processes. Respond to audible alarms, process changes, and sound variations. Take corrective actions when problems are discovered. Utilize trending capabilities of the plant operating software and use this information to correct deviations from normal plant processes.
- Maintain operational logs and prepare reports as directed by the Operations Manager. Report any abnormal or irregular conditions that develop during the progress of the work and take corrective measures within the scope of operation instructions.
- Ensure strict adherence to all safety and environmental for plant personnel working on equipment. Prepare equipment and make ready for service after repairs are complete.
- Required to perform day-to-day activities in a safe, effective, and timely manner. When not working as an operator, he/she will be called on to perform and assist in mechanical and electrical maintenance, including troubleshooting, calibration, installation and repair.
- Required to travel to the Ramco facility to perform operating and maintenance activities. Coordinate daily activities with all personnel in the plant during his/her shift. Take necessary actions to correct unusual conditions in the plant or communicate unusual conditions to plant supervisory personnel or on-call person. Responsible for writing, and maintaining equipment logs, operational logs, and other reports as required in a clear, professional manner. Perform control room administrative tasks such as filing operational logs, completing outage reports, and printing watch reports. Perform troubleshooting, diagnostics, and repairs to correct the cause of any operational abnormality or problem. Perform and direct operational tests. Develop expertise and assume responsibility and ownership for specific plant systems (e.g., closed cooling water, fuel gas, etc.) as assigned by the Operations Manager. Build on or develop system descriptions and procedures. Provide on-the-job training to other plant personnel. Perform emergency operations during unit trips and abnormal operating conditions to place plant equipment in a safe operating condition. Perform/Direct housekeeping tasks to maintain a clean, safe work environment and professional appearance. Perform other tasks as directed by the Operations Manager and other supervisory personnel as required. Perform water chemistry, analyze results, and take corrective actions as required. Responsible for the compliance of all plant safety, environmental and health programs and procedures during his or her shift. Interact and communicate with vendors and technical representatives. Communicate with regulatory officials and CAISIO as necessary. Maintain plant security. Assist in maintaining the maintenance database including operating history, inventory, parts procurement, and formulating or keeping maintenance procedures, tag outs, and tool lists current. Required to enter work orders and work requests into a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS). Any equipment problems that are identified in course of performing his/her duties should be entered into CMMS as a work order or work request. Safety problems that are identified should be acted on immediately and communicated to his/her supervisor as necessary. Update and maintain inventories, perform and enter work orders into a CMMS. Receive and transfer chemical, lubricating oil and aqueous ammonia deliveries safely and according to plant procedures. Receive other deliveries as required. Work with the Operations Manager and/or the Director to determine plant project assignments. Complete these projects as assigned and on time. Attend meetings and plant training sessions as required. Obtain certification in required environmental, health, and safety programs. The Operator/Technicians not in normal shift rotation will be required to be available for call-in duties. Assist in the development of standard operating procedures. Receive, transfer, move, and handle inert and explosive gas (H2, N2 O2, acetylene, CO2) in bulk containers and high pressure bottles safely and according to plant procedures. Operate heavy equipment such as a man lift and forklift as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- High school graduate, trade school, military service or technical training schools.
- Possess a current valid driver’s license.
- 5+ Experience in power generating facilities with previous experience as a control room operator of a combined cycle power plant.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the function and operation of major plant equipment.
- Must know the full procedure for starting up and shutting down the gas turbines, steam turbines, heat recovery steam generators, boiler feed pumps and other major equipment.
- Requires the ability to work 12-hour rotating shifts and to be on call to deal with potential power plant problems or outages.
- Work as required for other plant coverage such as vacations or sick time.
- Must be able to give, receive, and execute orders with accuracy.
- Must be capable or assuming the lead responsibilities related to the work he/she will perform.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and diagnose problems in systems, read and interpret blueprints, equipment specifications, and vendor service manuals.
- Must be able to understand, develop and/or complete records and reports as required.
- Ability to read, understand, and respond to written instructions and logbook notations.
- Work overtime and call-outs on an as-needed basis.
- Must be cooperative with those he/she contacts in this work and have the ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to respond calmly and think clearly in emergency situations.
- This position requires the ability to safely use, handle and inspect equipment containing (and perform maintenance in close proximity to sources of), hazardous energy, hazardous wastes as those terms are defined under various safety and environmental regulations. etc.
- This response would encompass appropriate personal protection techniques, the following of safety procedures such as (but not limited) lock out/tag out procedures, and the following of environmental procedures.
- This position requires the ability to perform these functions with little supervision.
- Additional professional and/or boiler operator licenses.
- Experience with GE 7FA combustion turbines and/or GE steam turbine and associated control systems.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Note: SDG&E strives to ensure that employees are paid equitably and competitively. Starting salaries may vary based on factors such as relevant experience, qualifications, and education.
SDG&E offers a competitive total rewards package that goes beyond base salary. This position is eligible for an annual performance-based incentive (bonus) as well as other merit-based recognition. Company benefits include health and welfare (medical, dental, vision), employer contributions to retirement benefits, life insurance, paid time off, as well as other company offerings such as tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, and employee assistance programs.
How to ApplyPlease APPLY HERE
45 total views, 1 today