Full-Time Medical Assistant
Position Title: Medical Assistant
Reports to: Nurse Manager
Locations: Manhattan & Jackson Heights, Queens
Position Summary: Works as part of the Care Team; Responsible to ensure highest quality of patient care. Provides support to the Nursing staff and Medical Providers in addressing the health care needs of our patients.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Greets patients and brings them to the exam rooms and preps them for the medical provider
• Assists in the clinical care of patients including:
• Doing biopsies, paps, HRA
• Phlebotomy, collection and processing of laboratory specimens
• Vital sign collection, EKGs, Peak flow
• Point of care testing: urine dipstick, fingerstick glucose, Rapid HIV
• Gathers medical information and reports to provider
• Interfaces with laboratories when necessary for patient care
• Ensures that lab results are available at the time of the visit
• Operates and maintains autoclave
• Consults with medical providers at the beginning of each session/and or at a daily meeting to ensure optimum patient flow
• Informs providers when there are medication renewals; executes provider’s orders; Makes referrals for patients
• Monitors the expiration of medical and laboratory supplies
• Monitors the temperature of vaccine and specimen refrigerators and freezers and takes appropriate actions during abnormal occurrences- e.g. abnormal temperature or electrical failure. Maintains temperature logs.
• Participates in interdisciplinary meetings to help determine policies affecting clinical care
• Participates in Quality Improvement activities
• Maintains clinical competence through participation in appropriate learning experiences
• Assists practitioners in the monitoring and maintaining of standards of care
• Stocks examination rooms with supplies on a daily basis as needed
• Performs routine clinical administrative operations including follow-up on abnormal labs, referrals, calling patients, mailing letters, and faxing
• Compliance with Infection Control policies and procedures
• Facilitates related services for health center patients as appropriate with respect to their confidentiality and privacy
• Performs other duties as may be assigned
• High School diploma or GED required
• Completion of accredited Medical Assistant Program and at least one (1) year full time work experience.
• Possession of a current basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BLS CPR) certificate.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team.
• Experience working with people living with HIV/AIDS preferred.
• Ability to speak Spanish or Mandarin is strongly preferred.
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds in a multi-cultural setting required.
• Knowledge of eClinicalWorks EMR is preferred.
• Able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
How to ApplyIf you are interested in the position please apply through our Apicha website. https://www.apicha.org/careers
47 total views, 1 today