Full-Time Media Relations Manager
Media Relations Manager
Location: GMT-6 to GMT+3
OutRight Action International works at global, regional and national levels to eradicate the persecution, inequality and violence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer (LGBTIQ) people around the world. With staff in over 10 countries and headquarters in New York, OutRight builds capacity of LGBTIQ movements, documents human rights violations, advocates for inclusion and equality, and holds leaders accountable for protecting the rights of LGBTIQ people everywhere. OutRight has recognized consultative status at the United Nations.
OutRight currently seeks a Media Relations Manager. The ideal candidate will be located in timezones GMT-6 to GMT+3.
The Media Relations Manager needs to be an excellent, precise and speedy writer. The selected candidate will help develop and implement OutRight’s communications program, which proactively advances the interests of the organization’s policy and programmatic agendas. They manage all aspects of the media relations program, under the supervision of the Communications and Marketing Director.
- Ensure the highest quality for all of OutRight’s media communications, including quickly and precisely drafting, coordinating and proofing op-eds, blog posts, press releases and other long-form writing
- Help conceptualize, plan, and apply press, social media, and public engagement strategies in all relevant media markets to advance OutRight’s mission.
- Write speeches, remarks and other communications (op-eds, etc.) for OutRight staff and partners
- Elevate OutRight’s reputation and profile globally, and advance OutRight as a key resource for influential stakeholders internationally.
- Appropriately and proactively respond to media requests, engage with media and pitch stories to support OutRight’s mission.
- Identify organizationally appropriate means to engage communities-at-large, online and in-person, in solidarity with LGBTIQ communities globally.
- Use excellent political judgment to accurately represent OutRight’s points of view
- Maintain that public information about OutRight’s activities is consistently branded, accessible and communicated in OutRight’s voice.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson whenever necessary, in lieu of a member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Initiate and nurture relationships with strategically placed media outlets internationally.
- Liaise with executive, development, program and operations to ensure organizational vision and branding is reflected in written output, fundraising, and hiring.
- A minimum of 7 years experience in communications or media relations work in a similar environment
- A deep political understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) human rights in a global context, as well as the ever-changing means in which media is delivered and consumed.
- Superior writing and editing skills (in English).
- A dexterity to work with rapid response, deliberation and consultation in regard to communicating complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Dedication to accuracy and strategy.
- Fluency in using social media to advance missions,
- A masterful knowledge of the intricacies of political movements and the best strategies to engage with and within them.
- A degree in Communications, Journalism, Human Rights, or an equivalent field is preferred.
- Passionate commitment to the pursuit of liberation from persecution based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity or expression within the broader context of a desire to eliminate all intersecting forms of oppression.
- An ability to write and edit in a language other than English is highly desirable.
How to ApplyHOW TO APPLY Interested candidates can apply via Bamboo at the link here. Alternatively, candidates can also e-mail a cover letter explaining how their skills and background fit this position, a resume/CV, and a relevant writing/editing sample relevant to the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to “Media Relations Manager ” in the subject line. OutRight Action International is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, transgender/gender-variant individuals, and individuals from the Global South are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates will be contacted. Please do not call. APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 28, 2022
265 total views, 0 today