Full-Time Litigation Legal Assistant
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Litigation team in Portland.
This position provides critical support for three to four attorneys in the litigation practice group. The primary practice of one of the attorneys on this desk is commercial litigation that includes family and closely held businesses in Oregon, as well as large enterprises with multinational operations, representing commercial landlords and commercial tenants, financial institutions, food and agriculture companies, manufacturers, digital content providers and tech startups. Additional focus is supporting associates during all stages of litigation. This position requires typing, editing and formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with federal and state courts throughout the United States, arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, file maintenance, and other tasks as assigned.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, discovery responses, and other legal documents, often with short deadlines
- Heavy court filings of pleadings in state and federal courts in many different venues including appellate courts
- Track litigation deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly
- Maintain paper and electronic files
- Draft correspondence and communicate with team and client contacts
- Compose case status for client/internal meetings; update and follow up
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; set up conference calls
- Draft attorney time into time-keeping program daily
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Open new client matters and initiate conflict checks
- Open and route mail and email; attach files and documents
- Provides overflow assistance and support for Legal Assistant Team Members’ attorneys
Join us if you have:
- 4+ years’ experience as a litigation assistant, or similar experience
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 65 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat or Nuance required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs, ability to perform internet research, required
- Experience filing documents with state and federal courts, including appellate courts. Ability to read and understand court rules, ensure compliance with assigned judge’s individual rules and practices
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential materials
- Ability to work independently and anticipate needed tasks to complete projects
- Ability and willingness to learn new electronic programs
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- High level of energy; able to work at a fast pace and to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in calm, composed manner
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested
- A high school diploma or GED certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
How to Applyhttps://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oaa8afwm&s=Pink_Jobs
67 total views, 1 today