Full-Time Lead Policy Organizer
About NY Renews
NY Renews is a coalition of nearly 200 environmental, justice, faith, labor, and community groups, and the force behind the nation’s most progressive climate law – the NYS Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. Now, we’re focused on two projects: implementing the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act in line with our vision of full decarbonization of the economy and climate justice; and advancing additional policies for climate justice in New York State.
We are governed by a Steering Committee of representatives from 17 environmental justice, community organizing, labor, faith, and climate organizations across New York State. The Steering Committee sets the strategic direction for the NY Renews coalition. We operate in accordance with the Jemez Principles of democratic organizing and are committed to collective decision-making and leadership of frontline communities.
For more information, visit www.nyrenews.org.
About the Lead Policy Organizer Role
After four years of organizing and advocacy by the NY Renews coalition, New York State passed the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, the nation’s most aggressive climate change policy. It is critical that this law is fully implemented in line with the vision of the NY Renews coalition, which includes significant focus on climate justice.
We are seeking a dedicated, conscientious, and passionate individual to fill the newly created role of Lead Policy Organizer to help the coalition influence the implementation of New York’s new climate law.
- Tracks regulatory and oversight process of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act implementation
- Serves as coalition’s main point of contact with the Climate Action Council and other advisory groups and panels formed under the CLCPA
- Keeps Steering Committee and coalition members informed of implementation processes and opportunities for engagement
- Drafts testimony, comments, public position papers, memoranda, and sign-on letters to influence the implementation of New York State climate law
- Identifies opportunities for the NY Renews coalition to engage in the legislative and regulatory processes to influence implementation of New York State climate law
- Works with legislative staff and legislators to communicate coalition priorities regarding CLCPA implementation
- Works with Lead Coalition Organizer and Communications Coordinator to plan and carry out actions, events, and messaging around CLCPA implementation
- With Lead Coalition Organizer, develops political education trainings and materials on CLCPA implementation for member organizations, presents to organizations on behalf of NY Renews as necessary; helps “de-wonkify” the regulatory process to assist in organizing and base-building efforts
- Coordinates coalition direct lobbying efforts around New York State climate law
- Creates materials for allied organizations on using New York’s new climate law to advance broad social justice goals
- Works with coalition members to manage Lobby Team and Policy Team weekly calls and ad hoc meetings as relevant to CLCPA implementation
The Lead Policy Organizer works under the supervision of the Coalition Coordinator, with the oversight of the staff supervisor and the Management Committee
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualities:
- Experience in legislative, budget, and administrative advocacy
- Experience organizing with a legislative, labor, issue, electoral, or other social justice campaign
- Experience interfacing with government agencies and/or elected officials
- Understanding of the New York State political landscape and communities
- Ability to analyze, understand, and “de-wonkify” legislative, administrative, and policy language for a broad audience; ability to produce compelling written materials for professional, legislative, and lay audiences
- Ability to develop and maintain genuine working relationships of trust and solidarity with a wide variety of partners from diverse backgrounds
- Exceptional ability to juggle multiple, simultaneous projects with cross-cutting stakeholders and deadlines, without sacrificing attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively, including in moments of urgency
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion
- A strong racial justice lens and experience working with communities of color
- Commitment to social, economic, racial, and climate justice
- Proficiency with Microsoft office and GSuite
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience working with coalitions
- A background in the climate justice movement
- Experience working in policy research or legal analysis
Travel, Nights, and Weekends
- This position requires travel within New York State (up to 25% of the time during the legislative session, January – June, up to 15% the rest of the year)
- This position requires the occasional ability to work nights and weekends
NYC or Albany prefered, but open to remote for the right candidate; must be located within New York State
Salary and Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $65,000-75,000 based on experience. This is an exempt salaried position.
- NY Renews provides employees with 100% health and dental insurance and provides 80% of costs for family coverage, along with a generous paid time off and holiday package.
NY Renews is committed to equity, inclusion and justice. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the values we fight for in the world. People of color, people with disabilities, women, non-binary, and LGBTQ people are especially encouraged to apply.
How to ApplyTo apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Lead Policy Organizer” in the subject line.
181 total views, 1 today