Full-Time Lead Coalition Organizer
About NY Renews
NY Renews is a coalition of nearly 200 environmental, justice, faith, labor, and community groups, and the force behind the nation’s most progressive climate law – the NYS Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. Now, we’re focused on two projects: implementing the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act in line with our vision of full decarbonization of the economy and climate justice; and advancing additional policies for climate justice in New York State.
We are governed by a Steering Committee of representatives from 17 environmental justice, community organizing, labor, faith, and climate organizations across New York State. The Steering Committee sets the strategic direction for the NY Renews coalition. We operate in accordance with the Jemez Principles of democratic organizing and are committed to collective decision-making and leadership of frontline communities.
For more information, visit www.nyrenews.org.
About the Lead Coalition Organizer Role
The Lead Coalition Organizer will be responsible for organizing and engaging NY Renews’ nearly 200 + member organizations, bottom-lining mobilizations and actions, and managing the NY Renews Organizing Committee. As our coalition grows, the person in this role will later be responsible for supervising regional organizers. Together, these activities will provide the organizing support for the strategic direction of NY Renews, as outlined by the Steering Committee.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with point people at NY Renews’ member organizations
- Helping member organizations leverage their assets (base, digital platforms, email list, etc.) in service of the coalition’s climate justice vision and policy goals
- In conjunction with coalition members and staff team, develop popular education trainings and materials for NY Renews campaign objectives for member organizations; present to organizations on behalf of NY Renews as necessary
- Work with coalition member group to help them take on independently run actions supporting the coalition’s climate justice and policy goals
- Recruiting and onboarding new coalition members
- Bottom lining organizing efforts around lobby days, rallies, turnout for hearings and public meetings, legislative office visits, direct actions, and other mobilizations, with support from member organizations
- Managing the NY Renews Organizing Committee, including creating agendas and written proposals, and conducting outreach and coordination for Organizing Committee calls and meetings, ensuring accountability for Organizing Committee work
- Maintaining clear communication between the Organizing Committee and Steering Committee
The Lead Coalition Organizer works under the supervision of the Coalition Coordinator, with the oversight of the staff supervisor and the Management Committee
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualities:
- Experience as an organizer with legislative, labor, issue, electoral, or other social justice campaigns
- Ability to develop and maintain genuine working relationships of trust and solidarity with a wide variety of partners from diverse backgrounds
- Experience managing volunteer organizing efforts
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communication skills; strong facilitation and/or training skills
- Exceptional ability to juggle multiple, simultaneous projects with cross-cutting stakeholders and deadlines, without sacrificing attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively, including in moments of urgency
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion
- A strong racial justice lens and experience working with communities of color
- Commitment to social, economic, racial, and climate justice
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and GSuite
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience working with coalitions
- A background in the climate justice movement
- Working proficiency in Spanish
- Experience organizing in New York State
Travel, Nights, and Weekends
- This position requires travel within New York State (up to 25% of the time during the legislative session, January – June, up to 15% the rest of the year)
- This position requires the occasional ability to work nights and weekends
NYC prefered, but open to remote for the right candidate; must be located within New York State
Salary and Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $55,000 – $65,000 based on experience. This is an exempt salaried position.
- NY Renews provides employees 100% health and dental insurance and provides 80% of costs for family coverage, along with a generous paid time off and holiday package.
NY Renews is committed to equity, inclusion and justice. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the values we fight for in the world. People of color, people with disabilities, women, non-binary, and LGBTQ people are especially encouraged to apply.
How to ApplyTo apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Lead Coalition Organizer” in the subject line.
103 total views, 2 today