Full-Time Head of Mechanical Enginering (Design)
Colt Data Centre Services (DCS) offers flexible and affordable colocation and IT infrastructure solutions. Our connectivity and colocation solutions allow our customers freedom to plan effectively for the growth of their business, knowing that their data centre strategy is future-proof.
- To manage direct engineering reports within the Mechanical team globally.
Direct report to the Global Head of Design & Engineering.
- To provide leadership and guidance to the Mechanical Engineering team.
- To ensure a Commercial approach in all aspects of the work including design, engineering and construction.
- Tracking of all major new technologies and design that may have application to DCS’s data centres.
- To identify, evaluate and implement plans to improve the power utilisation effectiveness of all data centres.
- Working with the other Projects teams to ensure that all internal approval documentation are completed in a detailed and timely fashion.
- To work with other Engineering functions, Construction, Project Management Office and Commercial.
- To manage and direct the internal team members, external engineering consultants and contractors to meet programme, design and other requirements for successful delivery of the project.
- The preparation and maintenance of mechanical fit out guides for all new and existing data centres.
- To provide advice and assistance to other Engineering, Delivery & Commissioning teams, site management teams and operations on all matters relating to engineering and design.
- The preparation of regular independent assessments of the mechanical and electrical integrity of data centres, including the possible identification and remediation of Single Points of Failure.
- The development and production of reporting systems to monitor the engineering efficiency and cost effectiveness of different mechanical systems employed by DCS.
- To deliver engineering support to ensure that DCS utilises optimal technologies and designs on the most cost effective (TCO) basis available in the market
- To review market changes and developments in sustainability and recommend adoption within the business.
- To implement, and standardise as far as practically possible, DCS’s highest standards of cost, quality and programme control throughout the design and build phases of multiple projects in multiple countries.
- Responsible for coordination of all Mechanical activities on assigned projects. Project planning, feasibility and evaluation, scheduling and coordination of projects, monitors work for compliance to applicable codes and accepted engineering practices.
- Plan and direct the installation, testing, operation, maintenance, and repair of new facilities and equipment .
- Analyse design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
Coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Assist in developing capital project programs and budgets for new equipment and major repairs.
- Review equipment failures and diagnose faulty operation
Collect and analyse data relating to operating efficiency of installed systems and equipment.
- Identify suitable consultants and contractors.
Assist in the preparation of contracts a with consultants, customers, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Play a leading role in the delivery of the MEP design and assist with MEP Consultants in achieving cost effective and resilient infrastructures on each site they work on.
- Advise and maintain standards for monitoring design and construction programme, cost control and project information systems to ensure successful project delivery.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant local permitting and government/local authority regulations.
- Together with local construction and fit out teams ensure all project plans and information are properly communicated and understood by all relevant DCS staff including costs, design· schedules, procurement, construction issues, MEP technical data, construction issues, contractor invoices and payments, funding requirements, change order notifications and any other issues that might materially affect the construction progress of each project.
- Ensure timely resolution of issues and deficiencies and develop and implement contingency plans to recover project slippage when appropriate.
- Play a leading role in the operations and maintenance review ensuring the proper and complete handover of the completed works to the DCS operations teams.
- Participate in a culture of a teamwork and continuous improvement.
Regular liaison with consultants and relevant authorities to ensure correct design and implementation of utility supplies.
Relationships and key contacts
- To work with all other functions in a proactive and energetic way to promote the Design, Engineering & Delivery agenda.
- Working with the other Project teams to ensure that all internal approval documentation are completed in a detailed and timely fashion and resolving data centre designs to deliver data centres at optimal Total cost of Ownership.
- Coordinate with Operations, Sales, Finance or other function to ensure the successful outcome of the projects and works
Role specific requirements
Skills & Experience
- 15 years Mechanical engineering experience and leading teams
Matrix based organisation structure
- Global awareness and ability to work across time zones and cultures
- Proficient in the use MS Office programmes.
- In depth knowledge of Mechanical works and various local authority approval process.
- Understanding and knowledge of other engineering disciplines such as Electrical, BMS, Commissioning
- Recent Data Centre design experience.
- Health and Safety legislation in particular CDM Regulations or similar.
Strong time management skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative.
- Must have the ability to work accurately under pressure.
- Must be able to operate in an open management style and structure with an emphasis on team working and within a global matrix
- Substantial experience of working in the data centre and engineering industry.
- Working at engineer level for design consultancy and contracting firms.
- Delivery of large capital expenditure projects with a high dependence on MEP.
- Manage and supervise both mechanical & electrical installations on-site
- Testing and Commissioning of critical systems
- Relevant senior engineer experience.
- Worked in Mission Critical Environments.
- Previous experience in an Asia-Pacific environment particularly Japan and India.
- Works on mission critical and complex services oriented buildings
- Must be willing to travel on reasonable short notice
- Commitment to transparency and integrity
- Impressive communication skills
- To drive continuous improvement
- Use of BiM360 Platform
- Working knowledge of critical systems equipment
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD / Revit / BiM
- 10 years’ experience in data centres
- Other European or Asian languages
(optional, if required)
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or other directly related field
What we offer:
Colt DCS is a growing business that is investing in its people. Our people are defined by their ability to make things happen and deliver on their promises. We offer skill development, learning pathways and accreditation to help our people perform at their best, regardless of role and location.
In addition to offering competitive salaries and incentive plans, a range of benefits and local rewards packages are offered to staff. Colt DCS recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some benefit examples are:
- Pension and insurance options
- Access to a virtual business school for on-going learning
- Business mentoring
- Discounts with local hospitality and retail providers
- Flexible working and relaxed dress code
- Two days annually to spend on volunteering opportunities
Who we are
Colt DCS has a vision to ‘’to be the most customer centric data centre provider’’. We have over 20 years’ experience in designing, building and operating energy-efficient, reliable data centres – hosting significant financial, media, corporate and cloud wholesale providers across the world.
We operate 29 state-of-the-art data centres across Europe and Asia Pacific, offering 24/7 security and local language support. We are connected to a further 530+ third party data centres across our network and are able to offer private links into the major public cloud providers.
Privately owned, Colt DCS is one of the most financially sound companies in its industry and able to provide the best customer experience at a competitive price.
For more information, please visit www.colt.net
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We are committed to making Colt an inclusive and supportive workplace
How to ApplyFollow this link to apply: https://joblistings.colt.net/job/London-Head-of-Mechanical-Enginering-%28Design%29/627779101/
69 total views, 7 today