Full-Time Head of Construction for Major Builds
Colt Data Centre Services (DCS) offers flexible and affordable colocation and IT infrastructure solutions. Our connectivity and colocation solutions allow our customers the freedom to plan effectively for the growth of their business, knowing that their data centre strategy is future-proof.
- We are looking for a dynamic executive to lead a high-performing team of Project & Construction Managers who form part of the Major Build Delivery team.
- This role is ideally based in London, but we will consider other cities/countries for the right candidate.
- The role reports directly to the Global Director of Delivery.
- The Major Build Delivery team is responsible for the project / programme management of data centre construction. This includes greenfield projects as well as brownfield retrofits/conversions and fit-out of existing core & shell inventory (site capacity expansion).
- The Head of Construction – Major Builds will work alongside the other key functions within Delivery of Design, Engineering, the Programme Management Office and Commercial to fulfil their duties and deliver to the business requirements.
- The people within the team are a value-add resource to our customers and our colleagues, known for their punctual, creative support and ‘can do’ attitude.
- The role of the Head of Construction – Major Builds is to deliver all the allocated projects in a professional manner, within the agreed scope, timescales and budget and in line with the requirements of the business to achieve 100% customer satisfaction on handover. Safety and Quality is paramount as part of the role and deliverables.
- The Head of Construction – Major Builds must ensure robust governance, accountability and integrity in performing his or her duties.
- Reporting to the Major Build Steering Committee (schedule, cost, scope, key risks and actions / issues / decisions required), including CEO, EVP, CFO and senior management team together with coordinating with key stakeholders including Development / Investment team, Operations, Finance, Procurement, Sales and Legal
- Delivery of the project in accordance with the defined strategy, governance and process.
- Day to day management of the major build projects; liaising with the project management and virtual teams across all disciplines and functions to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the project.
- Work with the Safety and Quality Managers to implement and ensure the sites adhere to corporate and industry standards and promote a zero harm philosophy.
- Ownership and oversight of the budget and associated cost reporting in conjunction with the Cost Managers.
- Ownership and oversight of the project master programme and associated progress reporting – ensure Project Managers are tracking progress on the plan as part of the agreed reporting cycle.
- Act as point of escalation within the project team. Reporting to the Global Director of Delivery all risks, issues, changes etc. All decisions that impact time, cost or quality will need to be approved by the Global Director of Delivery, who in turn may escalate to the Major Build Steering Committee.
- Convening and chairing regular project team meetings and progress review meetings; ensuring that the PMO records all actions and decisions etc.
Ensure that the Project Managers comply with document management; BiM360 protocols and storing ALL project-related documentation in this area.
- Spend time on-site with the Project Managers to ensure appropriate level of hands-on oversight
- Ensure that Project Managers work with the Cost Managers and implement robust change control process throughout the project lifecycle.
- Financial reports (in the pre-defined standard format) covering contract costs, budget forecasts, changes, invoicing / receipting and payments
Producing, managing and updating the Risk and Issues Register with input from all members of the project team throughout the entire project lifecycle.
- Progress and status reports (in the pre-defined standard format) to suit the agreed reporting cycle.
- Ensure that the General Contractor delivers in accordance with the agreed programme and scope with high quality.
- Ensure at all times the safe operation of the site during the project lifecycle.
- Ensure that the Project Managers adhere to strict governance over all purchase requisitions for the project as part of the financial control function and receipting accordingly.
- Managing all consultant and General Contractor valuations and payments with support from other functions as required.
- Ensure that the Project Managers properly oversee the SATs, IST and snagging activities on site for programme accountability.
- Ensure that all project deliverables have been completed.
- Ensure the project is accepted internally and by the client with formal sign off, in accordance with the requirements of the contract and internal Gateway procedures.
- Ensure that the Project Managers maintain the lessons learnt register during the entire project lifecycle and the lessons learnt activity after project completion.
- Ensure that each staff has a personal development plan with adequate training.
Role specific requirements
Skills & Experience
- Experience in managing construction projects involving complex engineering services installations.
- Experience of successfully delivering data centre or complex technical building projects.
- Technical knowledge of construction, mechanical and electrical services, controls (BMS) and security installations.
- An in-depth understanding of the technical, procedural, contractual and commercial aspects of project delivery
- Experience of working in a global team at senior level. Interacting with a multi-cultural, “virtual” team across a wide geography.
- Experience and understanding of procuring supply and construction contracts.
- Impressive communication skills are required (written and verbal).
- Methodical and highly organised.
- Ability to manage scope, cost, programme, quality and risks to deliver business goals.
- Be a problem solver and focus on solutions.
- Ability to apply due process and governance when managing complex projects from ‘end-to-end’ through all key stages from initiation to handover and closure.
- Ability to formulate and implement a clear strategy for project delivery through all stages.
- Expertise in financial management, programme management and managing project dependencies and risks.
- Ability to provide high quality and accurate reports, programmes and cost forecasts.
- A high degree of project management and co-ordination skills to maximise available resources; add value; deliver to milestones; drive to closure and exceed customer expectations.
- Ability to work and contribute to a virtual team, being influential whilst recognising other disciplines expertise to support.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels. Being succinct at a Senior Management level, whilst inspiring confidence and trust. Being collaborative and inclusive at direct and virtual team level.
- Excellent Microsoft Project or other similar programming software skills.
- Good Microsoft Excel skills.
- Good Microsoft Word skills.
- Ability to use BiM360 platform.
- Academic qualifications in a relevant construction or engineering discipline
Professional qualification e.g. chartered engineer / surveyor is advantageous
- Fluent in English
- Other European or Asian languages desirable
In summary –
The ideal candidate is one that can comfortably demonstrate…
- Good communication and reporting to team members and stakeholders including design, operations, end-users, 3rd parties, contractors, suppliers etc.
- Excellent teamwork and coordination across multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to manage multiple, diverse projects simultaneously with laser focus on meeting all deadlines without fail.
- Leadership and confidence with stakeholders and project teams.
- Willing to complete tasks against budgetary targets, within short time scales and to a high standard.
- An absolute commitment to transparency and integrity.
- Takes ownership and accountability.
- Can do attitude.
What can we offer:
Colt DCS is a growing business that is investing in its people. Our people are defined by their ability to make things happen and deliver on their promises. We offer skill development, learning pathways and accreditation to help our people perform at their best, regardless of role and location.
In addition to offering competitive salaries and incentive plans, a range of benefits and local rewards packages are offered to staff. Colt DCS recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some benefit examples are:
Pension and insurance options
Access to a virtual business school for on-going learning
Discounts with local hospitality and retail providers
Flexible working and relaxed dress code
Two days annually to spend on volunteering opportunities
Who we are
Colt DCS has a vision to ‘’to be the most customer centric data centre provider’’. We have over 20 years’ experience in designing, building and operating energy-efficient, reliable data centres – hosting significant financial, media, corporate and cloud wholesale providers across the world.
We operate 29 state-of-the-art data centres across Europe and Asia Pacific, offering 24/7 security and local language support. We are connected to a further 530+ third party data centres across our network and are able to offer private links into the major public cloud providers.
Privately owned, Colt DCS is one of the most financially sound companies in its industry and able to provide the best customer experience at a competitive price.
For more information, please visit www.colt.net
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We are committed to making Colt an inclusive and supportive workplace.
How to ApplyPlease follow this link to apply: https://joblistings.colt.net/job/London-Head-of-Construction-for-Major-Builds/627886201/
72 total views, 1 today