Full-Time General Microbiologist
Are you a dynamic professional with a unique blend of molecular and microbiological expertise? Are you ready to immerse yourself in a fast-paced, cutting-edge health laboratory setting? Join our collaborative team of driven and passionate individuals who are committed to making a real impact in the world!
The Oregon State Public Health Laboratory, situated in Hillsboro, Oregon, is actively searching for two dedicated Microbiologists (Microbiologist 2) to contribute their expertise in our thriving General Microbiology Laboratory. Your role will involve conducting essential analytical testing that drives critical insights and informs public health decisions.
The Oregon State Public Health Laboratory has protected the public’s health since 1903 by supporting state and local infectious disease control efforts, preventing metabolic disorders detectable at birth, and assuring the quality of testing in clinical and environmental laboratories. Click here to learn more!
What you will do:
As our Microbiologist, your responsibilities will include using conventional and molecular methods, including whole genome sequencing to identify and classify a variety of pathogenic bacteria including Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Salmonella, and Shigella species. You will also test pathogenic bacteria for drug resistance, test clinical and environmental samples for the presence of biological select agents, and test for coliform bacteria. In addition, you will isolate bacterial pathogens, perform whole genome sequencing analysis on bacterial isolates, and prepare specimens for storage and delivery related to the Emerging Infections Program and Epidemiology Laboratory Capacity grants. This role also monitors and maintains quality control testing to ensure compliance with test specifications and regulatory requirements.
What’s in it for you?
Join our team of passionate individuals working to promote health across the lifespan of individuals, families, and communities. We value and support unique perspectives using a trauma-informed approach and aim to reflect these values in our hiring practices, professional development, and workplace. We are committed to racial equity as a driving factor to improve health outcomes for all communities that experience inequities.
- We offer exceptional medical, vision and dental benefits packages for you and your qualified family members, with minimal out-of-pocket costs. Try this free virtual benefits counselor by clicking here: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/pebb/pages/alex.aspx
- Paid Leave Days:
- 11 paid holidays each year.
- 3 additional paid personal business days each year.
- 8 hours of paid sick leave accrued each month.
- Progressive vacation leave accrual, 8 hours each month with increases every 5 years.
- Pension and Retirement plans
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Optional benefits include short-term disability, long-term disability, deferred compensation savings programs, and flexible spending accounts for health care and childcare expenses.
- Continuous growth and development opportunities.
- Click here to learn more about State of Oregon benefits.
Salary Range: $4,259 – $6,528 per month
The Oregon Health Authority is committed to:
- Eliminating health inequities in Oregon by 2030
- Becoming an anti-racist organization
- Developing and promoting culturally and linguistically appropriate programs, and
- Developing and retaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workforce that represents the diversity, cultures, strengths, and values of the people of Oregon.
A bachelor’s degree in chemical, physical, or biological sciences or a degree in Medical Technology from an accredited institution AND a minimum of one year of molecular and microbiological laboratory experience;
OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience which includes a minimum of one year of clinical molecular and microbiological laboratory experience.
- Preference may be given to applicants with a unique blend of both molecular and microbiological expertise.
- Experience working as a skilled General Microbiologist in a clinical health laboratory.
- Experience testing for tuberculosis, blood parasites, and enteric pathogens.
- Experience with molecular testing including whole genome sequencing.
- Experience recording specimen data and results within a laboratory information management system.
- Certification as a Medical Technologist is a plus.
- Experience creating, promoting, welcoming, and maintaining a culturally competent and diverse work environment.
The work of this role will be performed at the Oregon State Public Health Laboratory, located at 7202 NE Evergreen Parkway, Hillsboro, OR 97124.
How to ApplyApply online at: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Hillsboro--OHA--Evergreen-Parkway/General-Microbiologist--Microbiologist-2---Hillsboro--OR--On-Site--Two-Positions-_REQ-134457 Application Deadline: 09/03/2023 The Oregon Health Authority is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity and anti-racism.
200 total views, 1 today