Full-Time Forestry Specialist
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America’s largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation’s mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we seek a Forestry Specialist to join our National Advocacy Center in Washington, DC. (Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions).
As our Forestry Specialist you will take the lead on the National Wildlife Federation’s policy work to address the carbon and biodiversity implications of using woody biomass for energy, as well as assisting NWF’s policy work to promote carbon sequestration in private forests and sustainable forest products. You will be a part of NWF’s Land Stewardship team. You will work with diverse partners and NWF state affiliates to promote sustainability in government and private sector policies related to private forestlands. Additionally, you will work with researchers to develop scientifically sound input to inform policy making around bioenergy and carbon storage, and to advocate for a policy landscape that benefits wildlife and addresses climate change.
Your major areas of responsibility will include:
- Legislative Advocacy: Implement NWF’s bioenergy and forest carbon advocacy work at the state, national and, to a more limited extent, international level. Endeavor to create a policy environment that is science-informed and benefits wildlife and climate. Collaborate and ensure synergies with NWF climate policy team, international team and legislative team.
- International Science & Policy: In collaboration with NWF’s International Team, promote research and coordinate with advocacy partners to develop consensus around carbon accounting that includes emissions from biomass in the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Coalition Work: Represent NWF in coalition working groups, collaborating directly with counterparts at partner organizations.
- Communications: Convey the strategy, policies, and NWF priorities via blogs, fact sheets, and other outward facing materials to advance program work on bioenergy. Collaborate with communications team, as needed, to ensure timely dissemination of research results or NWF reactions to policy developments.
- One Federation: Manage the crosscutting work of the bioenergy field with other teams and affiliates at NWF as part of the organization’s “One Federation” mission. Support and harness internal collaboration to build beneficial private forest strategies and policies, and emphasize the role of biodiversity in the climate movement.
- Equity and Justice: Contribute to NWF’s efforts to promote equity and justice within the organization and through our outward-facing work to advance the goals of the strategic plan.
- Four year degree required preferably with a solid background in forestry, ecology and/or a related natural resources field.
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in policy and/or natural resources-related work with some experience in policy analysis, lobbying, and development of advocacy campaigns.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to translate highly technical information for a public audience and for corporate and agency offices.
- Ability to take initiative and to develop and implement a work plan while consulting with others and working with partners and allies
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, set goals, and meet deadlines
- Extremely well organized and excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills, including being a team player
- Knowledge of legislative process and experience lobbying
- Technical knowledge regarding climate change, conservation, and forestry
- Ability to work well with diverse interests, including government officials, academics, and corporate, forestry and agricultural interests
- Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
- Advanced Degree
- Familiarity with carbon cycling in forest systems, sustainability issues surrounding forest management, bioenergy and a good working knowledge of wildlife and biodiversity conservation.
There may be some travel in this role of 3-4 times per year for 2-3 days.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The salary for this position is $55,000 to $60,000.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, including 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/DEIJ.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application. If selected, a background check will be conducted.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
How to Applyhttps://recruiting.ultipro.com/NAT1047NWF/JobBoard/1ca8346a-33cc-401d-90d9-d7f752fdfd7d/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=5b006c71-0a92-467b-a610-a812b89a53d1&sourceId=c33e0b37-3ca9-47da-a5ba-e9a45287443b
53 total views, 3 today