Part-Time Exhibition Host and Staffing Coordinator at Governors Island Climate Exhibition
This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to participate in the early stages of a bold new climate initiative.
The Climate Museum is the first museum in the U.S. dedicated to climate change. Its mission is to break the climate silence by mobilizing museum programming across the arts and sciences for broad community engagement. The Climate Museum draws us together around the social justice, public health, and urban design challenges we face, as well as opportunities to collaborate for climate progress. Most recently, in Fall 2018, we presented Climate Signals, a citywide exhibition with 10 sites, 16 special events, and 20 diverse institutional and community partners.
This spring through fall, on Governors Island, we will present our fourth exhibition. It will engage and educate the public on climate solutions across a broad range of sectors. Each module in this family-friendly show will include both an interactive station for kids and a more comprehensive text-based display for teens and adults.
The primary roles of the Exhibition Host and Staffing Coordinator are to manage volunteers, resolve issues that arise at the exhibition, engage visitors, and act as an ambassador for the Climate Museum, serving as its public face for visitors and making scientific concepts accessible and enjoyable for children and families. Shifts will be 8 hours per day, Thursdays through Sundays, with the option of more shifts during peak season in the summer.
The Exhibition Host will be expected to:
- Manage and direct the 2-4 high school and adult volunteers present each day through daily activities as necessary
- Resolve issues that arise at the exhibition
- Serve as the Climate Museum’s on-site lead, maintaining a friendly and professional demeanor when engaging with visitors;
- Answer visitors’ and volunteers’ questions regarding the exhibition, the Climate Museum, climate change, and climate solutions
- Have a solid grasp of the exhibition and the material covered by the exhibition (we will teach you everything you need to know about our exhibition and train you on how to use interactive aspects of the exhibits); answer questions of volunteers and visitors
- Supervise clean-up and maintenance of the space
- Commit to the position for the full six-month period, May 15 – Nov. 8: training period + five-month run of the exhibition + closing exhibition.run of the exhibition
As previously mentioned, training will be provided. You do not have to be a climate expert in any way to participate. Applicants should, however, possess the following qualifications:
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in climate science, climate issues, and/or social justice; previous public outreach responsibilities related to one or more of those topics is not required, but a plus
- Passion for outreach and education — must feel comfortable teaching and interacting with children and families
- Previous experience in customer service or as a docent or camp counselor is helpful
- Group leadership experience
- BA preferred — formal science background is a plus, but not required
- Weekend availability
- Fluent English is required; proficiency in additional languages is a plus
May 15, 2019
Nov 9, 2019
Please note: above is the application description for the paid Exhibition Host and Staffing Coordinator position. We are also accepting applications from adult docent volunteers to assist with leading activities within the exhibition. To learn more about volunteering, see listing at https://climatemuseum.org/volunteers
The Climate Museum embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our team.
How to ApplyTo apply to the Climate Museum Exhibition Host and Staffing Coordinator position, please address your resume and cover letter to Miranda Massie at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address:
- Your interest in the Climate Museum’s overall mission
- Your interest in this opportunity and why you believe you are a good fit for the job
- Your weekly availability
- How you heard about this position
141 total views, 1 today