Full-Time Evaluation and Research Specialist
Make a difference.
Are you passionate about driving positive change in public health policies and programs? Do you have a knack for turning data into actionable insights? If so, we have a unique opportunity for you to make a significant impact!
This is a full-time, permanent Operations Research Specialist (ORS) position located within the Office of Policy, Planning, and Evaluation. Applications are open until October 4, 2023.
As the Evaluation and Research Specialist (Operations Research Specialist), you will be a vital member of our Strategy, Evaluation, Policy, and Performance (STEPP) team, reporting to the Social Research Scientist Manager. Your role will encompass a range of responsibilities:
Key Duties include:
- Leading evaluation and analytical research projects.
- Collaborating with internal and external partners to design and implement program and policy evaluations.
- Utilizing mixed social, behavioral or health science research methods to answer critical evaluation questions.
- Overseeing qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and research activities.
- Transforming research findings into actionable insights through data visualization tools.
- Co-authoring comprehensive reports and effectively present results to diverse audiences.
- Taking the lead in crafting evaluation sections of grant reports and proposals.
- Applying a health equity-based lens to evaluation and research projects.
- Supporting agency-wide initiatives:
- Providing consultation and support on evaluation, research, and statistical matters to cross-agency teams.
- Helping integrate program evaluation and research practices into ongoing projects.
- Contributing actively to the agency’s transformational plan, strategic planning, policy development, performance management, and commitments to Equity, Innovation, Engagement, and health equity.
Join a great team and lead us into the future
The Office of Policy, Planning, and Evaluation (OPPE) strives to improve health through strategic policy research, design, development, and evaluation. The principles of health equity, engagement, and innovation guide our work, in alignment with the Department of Health (DOH) Transformational Plan.
We convene, lead, and support efforts internally to DOH and externally with Tribes, partners, and others at the local, state, and federal level in alignment with agency, Office of the Governor, and community influenced priorities. Policy research, design, evaluation, and advancement are integral to our work. We lead agency-wide initiatives, including Foundational Public Health Services, the state’s first Public Health Advisory Board, and public health accreditation.
The incumbent may be located anywhere within the State of Washington. Telework (mobile work) is currently expected. When approved, the incumbent will work with their supervisor to identify an appropriate work schedule and balance including telework and reporting to the Tumwater, WA duty station for work activities as needed. We anticipate the incumbent will work at the Tumwater office 1 day per quarter. This would need to be a conversation between the hiring supervisor and the incumbent.
Our Ideal Candidate.
Has a driving passion for the work, brings humility to their job and interactions, and understands how their actions affect others. They see the needs and objectives of others and take them into account while achieving their objectives, and they adapt their approach and expectations accordingly. They demonstrate resilience and outward behaviors even when confronted with others who are not open or collaborative.
Note: Experience defined below may have been gained through paid or unpaid activities. Please ensure any relevant experience defined below is outlined in your cover letter, resume, and/or applicant profile.
- Option 1: Six (6) or more years of experience applying evaluation and research principles and methods.
- Option 2: A bachelor’s degree or higher in public health; statistics; a social, behavioral, or health science; or a similar field; AND three (3) or more years of experience applying evaluation and research principles, and methods.
- Option 3: A master’s degree or higher in public health; statistics; a social, behavioral, or health science; or a similar field; AND one (1) or more years of experience applying evaluation and research principles.
- Option 4: A PhD in a social, behavioral, or health science.
Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Developing and implementing quantitative and qualitative research methods and techniques; designing and managing an evaluation or research project; identifying and implementing appropriate evaluation methods and techniques and ensuring compliance with human subject protocols; implementing and evaluating performance management systems or processes.
- Writing and presenting information in multiple formats for multiple audiences, including data, findings, and conclusions into clear and concise reports, presentations, and infographics for lay and technical audiences.
- Displaying knowledge of advanced qualitative analytical and interpretive skills, quantitative analysis principles and methods.
- Working with and successfully collaborating with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds to emphasize or support community led or community informed evaluations.
- Collaborating and maintaining effective relationships with a variety of individuals, including internal and external partners.
- Ability to effectively balance independently managed tasks, and projects requiring close collaboration with, and accountability to, teammates or agency partners.
- Managing highly visible and politically sensitive projects with multiple tasks requiring an attention to detail.
- Demonstrating proficiency in Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint, database creation, and project management.
- Demonstrating proficiency in software for qualitative and quantitative analysis and data collection, and data visualization and reporting.
- Demonstrated understanding of social, structural, and institutional determinants of health and health equity, and/or understanding of pro-equity anti-racism (Download PDF reader).
- Flexibility and an ability to manage and transition from project to project.
Intrigued? Click “Apply” to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A cover letter (without personal pictures) describing how you meet the qualifications and why you are interested in this position.
- A current resume (without personal pictures).
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be listed in your profile under the references section, which includes at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) someone you have supervised or led.
Attachments: Please only include items listed above. Please REMOVE all photos (including headshots) from your documents prior to submitting.
Please DO NOT attach or include certifications/certificates of completion, transcripts, letters of recommendation, or private information (social security number, year of birth etc.) with your application.
Veterans: Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference must attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please remove or cover any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers and birth year.
This position is covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We regard diversity as the foundation of our strength, recognizing that differing insights and abilities enable us to reflect the unique needs of the communities we serve.
DOH is an equal-opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination based on race/ethnicity/color, creed, sex, pregnancy, age, religion, national origin, marital status, the presence or perception of a disability, veteran’s status, military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, or gender identity.
How to ApplyPlease apply directly through the Government Jobs website. Washington State Department of Health | . (governmentjobs.com)
85 total views, 3 today