Full-Time Environmental Operations Specialist Senior
Positions in this class are responsible for performing a variety of professional field and office assignments that require the application of standard principles in the development and operation of solid waste management systems. Duties include responsibility for capital projects, including overseeing design work, project estimating, and project management; activities to comply with federal, state and local environmental regulations to implement solid waste management plans; leading inspections of public and private solid waste facilities; and for providing technical assistance and contract compliance.
The Environmental Operations Specialist classification is the fully experienced level within the job family. The Environmental Operations Specialist, Senior, classification is distinguished from the Environmental Operations Specialist classification by having lead responsibility for performing more technical and complex work in design, inspection, contract and project management, and budget administration, requiring a higher level of knowledge, experience, and skill. Work assignments are provided with limited technical instruction and require considerable independence in the selection of courses of action and resolution of complex or unique problems within the framework of departmental policy and procedures, applicable regulations, and accepted best practices.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in public administration, finance, engineering, environmental science, or related field. Other combinations of education or experience, which would demonstrate the ability to perform the work, will be considered, preferably with public sector experience at the local government level.
- Master’s Degree and minimum two (2) years’ experience in a position comparable to an Environmental Operations Specialist.
- Two (2) years of experience working with the public in areas related to solid waste management, recycling, moderate risk waste, or environmental education.
- At least two (2) years of experience of writing complex contract terms is highly desirable.
- At least two (2) years of experience with project coordination/management is highly desirable.
- On a year-for-year basis, any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for educational requirements.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Incumbents typically work in both office and field settings associated with community events, complaint investigations, and technical assistance visits/meetings. Work involves management of multiple priorities and direct face-to-face interactions with the public.
For complete job announcement, application requirements, and to apply on-line, please visit our website at:
Salary Grade: Local 17 Engineers.211 $34.72 – $44.35- per hour
46 total views, 1 today