Full-Time Distributed Generation Control Systems Engineer – Technical Advisor – 200002DM
Our culture is one that believes in Powering Your Potential. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today’s most innovative thinkers to solve the world’s toughest problems. We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions and make an impact through meaningful work within our diverse workforce.
Our Corporate Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you’ll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Fridley, Minnesota for a Distributed Generation Control Systems Engineer -Technical Advisor.
The successful candidate will:
* Collaborate with system architects to develop power electronics systems to be integrated with electrical energy storage systems, photovoltaic arrays and/or fuel cells (PEM and solid oxide).
* Design and implement feedback and feedforward control algorithms and related specifications to ensure robust system operation
* Collaborate with hardware/firmware/software engineers to develop models & enable model-based code development.
* Integrate, test, and troubleshoot power electronics in grid-connected and off-grid/micro-grid applications.
* Use system-level software tools such as MATLAB/Simulink to optimize power electronics.
* Develop and operate hardware-in-the-loop test benches for power electronics.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
* Investigates highly difficult or specialized electronic application and systems problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results.
* Creates, manages, improves, and applies electronic application and systems development processes and tools. Processes include system specification, modelling and simulation, calibration, Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R), and troubleshooting. Tools include Simulink, calibration tools, and PTC integrity.
* Obtains input and negotiates with product and software development teams and delivers control system designs, verified and calibrated software features and builds to product teams.
* Uses systems knowledge and expertise to make decisions in the areas of electronic systems designs, requirements, calibration, and test that impact the quality and performance of calibrated builds and management of cross-BU integration and coordination.
* Responsible for review of less-experienced developers/testers’ work to ensure robust, reusable, and efficient design.
* Responsible for coaching and developing the next generation of technical experts.
* Provides problem resolution leadership for complex systems with a high degree of ambiguity and often global business impact.
* Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across function(s) within a global business unit or managing improvement across business units.
* Coordinates and directs work of technical project teams, up to and including direct management of small to mid-sized teams.
* Operates as the recognized multi-competency specialist or expert in a discipline or product area across a site or global business unit with responsibility for developing local talent (direct or indirect).
* Coaches and mentors other engineers, project managers and cross-functional team members.
* May also include academic or industry collaboration in a competency or discipline area.
Design and Application of Mechatronics Systems – Specifies electronic hardware and interconnections that measure and control systems; applies electronic hardware and interconnections in Cummins’ products.
Machine Integration and Optimization – Combines various parts or sub-systems into a whole to achieve the output most desired by the customer; applies Cummins’ installation requirements using our standard tools, processes and identified best practices to ensure optimization of performance, reliability, cost and quality; analyzes technical issues using proven problem-solving and troubleshooting techniques for rapid resolution.
Product Problem Solving – Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
System Requirements Engineering – Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
Systems Thinking – Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
Decision quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Communicates effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Builds networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Manages complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Cultivates innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
Optimizes work processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Manages ambiguity – Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
Other required skills:
* Strong technical expertise with C, C++, Matlab/Simulink, PSPICE, PSIM, LTSPICE, Saber, PLECS, EMC, HIL, model-based code development, validation, hardware testing and troubleshooting.
* Strong knowledge of power electronics circuits, systems, and controls.
* Strong knowledge of power semiconductor devices, high-frequency magnetics design, circuit theory, and EMC.
* Basic knowledge and application of microprocessors, DSPs, and FPGAs in real-time embedded solutions.
* Familiarity and use of network protocols such as CAN, LIN, J1939, Ethernet, and Bluetooth.
* Practical skills to use evaluation boards, debuggers, and other development tools for rapid prototyping.
* Knowledge of applicable standards such as IEEE 519, IEEE 1547, UL1741, UL1998, IEEE 1159, NEC 702, Utility Interconnection, IEEE 2030, MIL-STD TMS/461/705, EU GCC, SAE J1772, SAE J2954.
* Minimum eight to ten years of experience in a similar role, currently developing inner loop controls of power electronics.
* Experience in controls for grid fault ride-through, grid anti-islanding vs. microgrid controls, gird-tied, grid-forming, islanding, blackstart, seamless transitions between modes and paralleling multiple inverters.
* Direct Hardware experience in design, calibration, tuning, testing, and validation of power electronics.
Required Education, Licenses or Certifications Advanced degree (Master/ PhD) in Electrical Engineering.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
How to ApplyTo apply for this position, please use the following URL: https://ars2.equest.com/?response_id=78de07914092a3a4fc4bef7210f552a3
68 total views, 3 today