Full-Time DIRECTOR, SUSTAINABILITY – 31612
Traditional 235 work days
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Essential Functions and Objectives:
– Develop, educate, promote and implement Denver Public School’s Vision of Sustainability throughout the District.
– Investigate and research creative approaches for partnering with outside third parties to implement economically justified sustainability projects, with particular emphasis on sustainable energy use.
– Lead efforts to create and implement a district-wide sustainability policy and action plan for DPS students, teachers, administrators and staff.
– Monitor the implementation and incorporation of high resource efficiency building practices for any DPS new construction and or remodels to maximize annual expense savings.
– Expand DPS sustainability initiatives to operations, departments and academic programs to achieve a cohesive and comprehensive focus on environmental, economic and social sustainability.
– Identify, utilize and gather expert information from a broad and diverse DPS community (e.g., Board, students, teachers, staff and parents) to identify innovations and ideas that reflect national and global best practices. Builds support and understanding of sustainability projects and issues.
– Drive, lead and implement green building construction initiatives within DPS, which are measurable and meaningful resource conservation, emissions reductions, transportation efficiencies and curriculum development that support sustainability.
– Collaborate and coordinate with DPS grant coordinator to develop grants for projects relating to existing buildings, new buildings, remodels, energy projects and other sustainability initiatives.
– Coordinate funding options and opportunities for new buildings, remodels, energy efficiency projects and other sustainability initiatives.
– Partner with entities such as Xcel Energy and Denver Water to ensure DPS is utilizing all “free” resources, qualified energy savings rebates and expertise to drive sustainability initiatives at the lowest cost to DPS.
– Identify, develop and make recommendations regarding methods and technologies to reduce waste, save energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase environmental awareness.
– Establish program success assessment criteria for DPS’ sustainability initiatives.
– Develop record keeping system and keep accurate cost and savings records of implemented initiatives.
– Collaborate with DPS budget groups to project and budget for initiative implementation costs and savings.
– Develop and maintain sustainability indicators (e.g., energy and natural resource usage, waste generations, recycling).
– Assist in development of new building construction or remodel energy projects/systems.
– Assist with development and promotion of energy efficient practices throughout DPS and related DPS policies, regulations and procedures.
– Research and track national, state, and local energy and savings trends and statistics, identifying savings potential for educational facilities. Demonstrate cost consciousness and operational efficiency while performing the duties of this position.
– Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Knowledge & Other Qualifications
– Knowledge of quantitative, analytical and valuation skills and ability to apply these skills to assess the relative merits of various and sometimes competing strategies.
– Demonstrated excellence in creatively solving business problems and in preparing and delivering written and oral presentations describing proposed solutions to such problems.
– Knowledge of existing and emerging sustainable technologies (e.g., solar, geo-thermal, heat exchangers, fuel cells).
– Ability to plan, organize and direct activities of others in an efficient manner.
– Ability to communicate, coordinate and collaborate as a member of interdisciplinary, cross-functional team.
– Work effectively with staff at all levels, in all departments jointly and independently. Lead, implement and facilitate work of a diverse team.
– Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, data-base software and project management applications.
– Demonstrated excellence creating and solving business problems.
– Passion for resource conservation highly preferred/required.
Education and Licensure Requirements:
– Bachelor’s degree required in Business, Industrial Sciences, Business Management, Environmental Sciences, Sustainability or related fields. Master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred.
– Seven (7) years or more of progressive, related experience is required.
– Minimum two (2) years’ experience negotiating contracts and completing financially and legally complex transactions.
– Five (5) years previous supervisory experience required.
– Previous grant writing experience preferred.
– Must meet District insurability standards
– Certifications in sustainability or renewable energy preferred.
– Valid Colorado Driver’s License, appropriate insurance coverage and acceptable driving record for the past three years.
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
Under the leadership of Superintendent Tom Boasberg and guided by the tenets of The Denver Plan, DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
How to Applyhttp://tinyurl.com/y88slr5q
17 total views, 1 today