Full-Time Director of Advertising
BOMB encourages applicants from communities that are historically underrepresented in arts administration. Individuals of color, individuals with disabilities, and/or LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply. BOMB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BOMB does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BOMB Magazine is seeking a Director of Advertising to develop and implement strategic, comprehensive advertising and sponsorship for the organization’s print publication, website, and newsletter. The Director of Advertising reports to the Editor-in-Chief and works closely with the Director of Digital Development.
The position includes a base salary, a monthly stipend for health insurance, and a potential additional commission ranging from 25-40K per year. This is a four-day-a-week position.
The Director of Advertising is responsible for soliciting, securing, and managing advertising and sponsorship placements and media buys across print and digital platforms, including web, podcast, and e-newsletter. Applicants must have prior experience in ad sales and come with a client base. Knowledge of the cultural landscape, in particular art and literature, as well as digital content providers is important.
The Director of Advertising is responsible for developing a strategic approach that will drive revenue growth by selling ad space and sponsorships to BOMB’s existing advertisers and through the cultivation of new advertisers. The new director must develop a cohesive sales and account management strategy, build solid contacts and successful business relationships, and demonstrate strong business acumen and professionalism. This position requires a self-motivated, experienced ad/media sales professional with strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- BA/BS degree in Advertising, Marketing, or Business strongly preferred.
- Experience and knowledge with the landscape of arts advertising
- Professional experience of 3 to 5 years in advertising sales (preferably magazine or digital ad sales) with a record of achieving or surpassing sales goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with individuals across all organizational levels.
- Commitment to the goals, values, and mission of the organization.
- Familiarity with contemporary visual arts institutions, persons, and events is a plus.
- Strong branding skills.
- Digital native familiarity with file-sharing tools.
- Social media fluency (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- A self-starter able to develop and track simultaneous projects and meet deadlines.
- Develop and present advertising opportunities and packages to prospective advertisers, and follow up to close deals
- Manage all aspects of advertising, from soliciting, negotiating, and securing advertisers, to sending out insertion orders and deadline reminders, invoicing, and placing the ads
- Keep BOMB’s media kit up to date
- Research and cold call leads (national and regional) consistent with the magazine’s target demographic
- Build relationships with prospective and current accounts/stakeholders
- Manage and track advertising sales/client data, keeping detailed records on all advertisers
- Develop strategic plans to build on success and extend the advertising pool to new areas such as streaming networks and the beverage industry
- Meet or exceed quarterly sales goals as established in partnership with the Editor-in-Chief.
Additional suggested skills/responsibilities for digital ads and sponsorship:
- Conduct in-depth keyword and website research, ad grouping, and audience targeting
- Define, measure, and evaluate relevant paid media key KPIs
- Build out media buys for various ad platforms and oversee the day-to-day execution of paid media
- Write engaging and concise copy to modify CTAs on ads to boost click-through rates and landing pages to boost conversion rates
- Monitor, evaluate, and present the performance of campaigns by generating quarterly performance reports to clients analyzing trends, goals, opportunities, and other key performance indicators
MailChimp, Google Docs, Craft CMS, AdobeSuite, Photoshop, Google Docs, experience with supply-side platforms (e.g., Google Ad Manager, RhythmOne, OpenX, etc., experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and database software.
Founded in 1981, BOMB consists of a flagship quarterly print magazine, a daily online publication, digital series including the Oral History Project and the FUSE podcast, and an online archive featuring all of BOMB’s content from the past 40 years.
How to ApplyTo apply, please send an email with an attached cover letter, a resumé/CV, and a subject line reading, “Director of Advertising” to email@example.com. Deadline: March 23, 2021 Applications will be considered after the application deadline and candidates will be interviewed a week later and notified shortly thereafter. Start Date: April
606 total views, 0 today