Temporary DE&S WOME Logistics / Processing Operative
£17,931 per annum (plus benefits).
Length of employment
Number of posts
Join an integral part of the UK’s Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country’s armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Defence Munitions Receive Store Maintain & Issue (RSMI) a wide range of munitions used by the UK armed forces to train protect and serve all over the world. Defence Munitions staff work closely with DE&S project teams and front-line commanders in order to ensure our troops have the required items at the right time. We work as an important part of the wider MOD establishment that supports, procures and supplies our troops, providing them with a range of munitions components, spares and consumables required to maintain and process various complex weapons systems.
As a WOME (Weapons, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives). Logistics Operative, you will work on a range of tasks related to Defence Munitions, ranging from, receipting, storage issuing and managing our inventory. You will also have opportunities to work on a range of associated documentation and IT Support, all to ensure that our armed forced are correctly supported and supplied in a timely and effective fashion.
As a WOME Processing operative, you will normally work under supervision and ultimately have a degree of competence in all facets of the General Munitions Processing ie examination, repair, packing and also including the use of IT systems. The successful candidate will be required to be multi-skilled and can operate a variety of MHE and vehicles, cranes, lifting equipment and be proficient in the use of hand tools after training.
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated hard working and organised individuals who can work well as part of a team in a pressurised customer focused environment to tight timescales. Knowledgeable in explosive and non-explosive inventory and warehousing, you will work towards becoming a practitioner who can readily engage with a wide level of stakeholders.
This role is mainly based in our warehouse areas in a tasking basis when required. Above all you will be required to be passionate about safety and process, closely following guidance and procedures allowing ammunition and explosives to be stored and handled in a safe, effective and consistent fashion.
We are seeking individuals who can successfully work across these areas:
WOME Processing Operative:
* When processing, adhere to production schedules/targets with due regard to safety, time, cost and quality.
* Monitor explosives safety including maintaining explosives limits and environmental conditions within the explosives processing facilities Conduct assembly and dis-assembly, examination, maintenance, repair and modifications.
* Conduct packing, repacking and marking activities (painting and remarking of ammunition containers to required specification detailed in the relevant Ammunition Working Drawing.
* Ensure all palletised loads are prepared and documented in accordance with the relevant Unit Load Specification (ULS). De-banding ULS and rebuild to the required specification as detailed in JSP422. Sealing ammunition containers in accordance with JSP 482. Assist with stuffing, destuffing of ISO Containers.
* Handle munitions and explosives in a safe and efficient manner.
* Carry out before, during and after pre-use checks on Mechanical Handling Equipment.
* Assist with all logistics and storage activities to ensure that customers’ requirements are met on time and in full, this may include working on-board HM Ships and other military establishments.
WOME Logistics Operative:
* As a multi skilled individual you will be required to work as part of a fast-moving stores team capable of being flexible, you will also be required to operate a range of manual handling equipment such as Fork-lift trucks, cranes and other lifting/moving equipment.
* Maintain a high standard of security, cleanliness and housekeeping within the explosive’s storage and processing facilities.
* Ensure all palletised loads are prepared and documented in accordance with the relevant Unit Load Specification.
* Individuals to have experience in the planning of work to meet individual/team outputs against customer demands.
* Individuals to be IT literate and able to or willing to be trained in the accounting systems operated across all storage areas.
* Office based work will constitute a large part of this role, including checking all routine priority receipts and issues are thoroughly checked paperwork or computer records are correctly completed.
As you will be interacting with a wide range of internal and external customers and stakeholders, both military and civilian, and including contractors, your
strong communication, influencing and leadership skills combined with a calm, collected and collaborative, yet robust, manner are essential to success
across these areas.
Due to diverse job roles individuals will need to have either IT and/or MHE skills, this will then determine vacant role individuals are most suited to be considered for and give us opportunity to pre-determine best applicant.
It should be noted that:
* Work is often undertaken in unusually difficult or challenging environments such as outside in poor weather or working at heights and within confined spaces with materials such as explosives or live ammunition. Given this, a safety conscious approach that embraces a responsible way of working is essential.
* You must complete a full medical check, and should you be successful in the post, your offer will be based on the outcome of this check.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Basic understanding of IT systems.
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Driving Licence.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Distribution and Warehousing
• WOME Processing (Technical training will be given)
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Working together
• Delivering at pace
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern is available, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. (Please note that you will be required to complete a 6 month probationary period).
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function is the integrating Function for Support within DE&S, responsible for the development, management and delivery of in-service support for our front-line command customers. The iLog Function consists of around 2,900 personnel, both civil servants and military, and with a wide range of disciplines ranging from operations management and supply chain management, technical through-life support and logistics delivery, to modelling and analysis.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
Please find ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ here
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a medical.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
• Key Achievements
• Relevant Experience
• Applied Knowledge and Skills
For additional guidance on writing a CV for DE&S, please click here
Firstly we’ll check that you meet the essential criteria that are listed for the role. If you do, we’ll then carry out a more detailed review of your CV to see if your qualifications and experience are a good match for the role(s).
If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to an interview on W/C 01/02/21 so you can meet us, discuss your Key Achievements, Relevant Experience and Applied knowledge & Skills. In addition to the above, you’ll also be assessed against a technical competence and the listed behaviours, aligned to ourDE&S Behaviours which can be found attached at the bottom of the page.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals of Commonwealth countries
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
How to ApplyApply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 24th January 2021 Follow link to apply Please click here to apply
78 total views, 1 today