Full-Time DE&S Service Delivery / Operations Manager
£63,750 – £75,000 per annum (plus benefits)
Join an integral part of the UK’s Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country’s armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Are you a highly capable, credible individual with the ability to build positive and engaged relationships in a complex and ever-evolving environment? The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function has opportunities for high performing Service Delivery/Operations Managers.
These roles carry considerable responsibility and opportunity as you will be accountable for leading a delivery team, planning and providing support to front line commands.
You will deliver the capability, platform or equipment in accordance with customer agreements by using demand, supply and project management skills and techniques.
You will engage stakeholders and create rapport to drive and deliver outcomes in a way that identifies risks and recommend clear, viable mitigating actions.
Your approach will be to listen, understand and to respect the value of different views, ideas and ways of working to make ongoing improvements to delivery while bringing your stakeholders on the journey with you.
Given the dynamic environment, no two days will be quite the same; one may find you conducting a rolling, regular review of the requirements you look after with your customer and the front line commands to ensure the successful ongoing improvements. Another may involve meeting with your suppliers regarding specific issues and developing bespoke but scalable solutions that minimize service or capability downtime and optimise costs associated with the support.
This is a challenging and highly involved post that requires sound judgement and first-rate influencing skills to manage the ever-changing picture and needs. A practical, positive and results-orientated approach combined with knowledge of our operations is essential to succeed as you will often need to determine which role is a priority at what time. You will need to translate aims into clear manageable plans and determine resource requirements to support implementation, facilitating flexible use of resources across the organisation through innovative structuring of resources within your own area.
Regularly interpreting management information to provide valuable business insights and work alongside senior colleagues to help share strategy and policy within your role area.
In cases where the deliverable or platform is not being delivered to the required quality, cost or timescales you will need to identify the issues and take appropriate action. This will require you having great customer and supplier management skills along with the ability to lead teams made up of many disciplines, making sure everyone is working and communicating with each other to deliver your clear plan of action.
In short, this is a challenging post that frequently interfaces directly with our Senior Leadership Group (SLG) as well as senior military staff and functional team members; both partnering and driving the utilisation of our capability and capacity while retaining a ‘big picture’ perspective across the domain, the function and the wider business.
The position requires you to work across different areas of the DE&S as well as in all stages of the product lifecycle.
To succeed, you will need to be highly proactive with a continuous improvement mindset. Strategically leading teams you will encourage a culture of imaginative thinking, learning from experience and expanding mindsets to challenge the status quo to continually drive for improved quality.
The key responsibilities of this role will be:
• Leading the delivery of sizeable portfolios/programmes/projects; while being the recognised expert in the delivery of support providing significant input into customer and supplier contracts and support budgets.
• Having a strong business acumen with practitioner knowledge of support costs, resources, risks and contract management; keeping aware of wider industry capabilities to inform future options.
• Strategic level thinking and stakeholder management to continually drive performance improvement and an understanding and application of problem solving and Continuous Improvement (CI) tools and techniques.
• Engaging with multiple stakeholders across the business and working in collaboration with senior colleagues within their specialist area to devise and implement relevant strategies; a strong understanding of contract and operations management to deal directly with representatives from suppliers including support requirements that need to be included in contracts.
• Motivate improved performance by suppliers, challenging any gaps between contractual commitments and actual delivery through joint working with commercial/procurement experts; development and management of governance arrangements for the delivery of the service, aligned with iLog best practice and KPI’s.
• Provide valuable business insight and work alongside senior colleagues to help share strategy and policy; spot warning signs of things going wrong and providing a decisive response to significant delivery challenges, implementing short term solutions whilst identifying root causes and suggesting options for long term corrective action whilst maintaining control of support outputs and costs; building a high performing, multi function team using all the leadership skills expected at this level; clearly communicating and reinforcing to team members and stakeholders the vision, values and objectives and its links to the customer requirement held within the CASP; using appropriate leadership styles to gain and maintain the trust, confidence, commitment and collaboration of others to deliver the capability.
• Consistently modelling desirable behaviours in order to encourage similar behaviours from others; working with the customer and suppliers to review delivery performance and future challenges driving action by one or more parties to address any issues.
• You will have the ability to influence the support solution at the customer and industry boundaries and keeping aware of wider industry capabilities to inform future options.
•Leading investigations where the required Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) are not being achieved to the required quality, standard or timescales, and help to identify the issues and take appropriate action.
• Accountability for the management of resources, monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly to ensure the integrated support meets customer requirements fully within the agreed budget.
• Leading agreed governance arrangements for the delivery of the service, aligned with best practice and KPI’s.
• Proactively balancing supply and demand with customers to design and deliver a stable deliverable portfolio and subsequent programme of work.
• Conduct regular rolling reviews of the teams, customer outcomes and platform capability performances to proactively identify and manage dependencies between projects and programmes and their funding/resource requirements including accountability for all aspects of inventory and supply chain management for their platforms or equipments.
• Leading the drafting, tender process and assessment of tenders, and monitor the performance of suppliers in terms of the quality, timeliness and reliability of goods and/or services to ensure agreed contractual obligations are met.
If invited to interview you will be asked to do a 5 minute presentation on a question that will be advised when invited to interview.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Significant previous experience in senior management in a delivery environment at an operational level and a qualification within at least one of the following fields: Operations Management, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Engineering and Technical Through-Life Support.
• Experience of developing strategy and leading multi-function teams through a change that you initiated and developed which improved the efficiency and effectiveness of the delivery of outputs to the customer that you were accountable/responsible for.
• Experience of making clear, pragmatic and manageable plans for service delivery using operations management disciplines to provide leadership to a cross functional team and stakeholders to negotiate and meet agreed service levels whilst remaining within cost, quality and safety envelopes.
• Exceptional organisational, influencing and communication skills with proven leadership capabilities, including stakeholders.
• Experience of managing the delivery of contract requirements and budgets, including managing the approval process, monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Have chartered status from one of the professional bodies associated with your specialist field ie. CEng, FCILT, MCIPS, CIPFA, MAPM, RPP.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Enhancing Service Support Systems
• Managing support, supplier and customer networks
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function is the integrating Function for Support within DE&S, responsible for the development, management and delivery of in-service support for our front-line command customers. The iLog Function consists of around 2,900 personnel, both civil servants and military, and with a wide range of disciplines ranging from operations management and supply chain management, technical through-life support and logistics delivery, to modelling and analysis and internal continuous improvement consultancy services.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
Please find ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ here
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
• Key Achievements
• Relevant Experience
• Applied Knowledge and Skills
For additional guidance on writing a CV for DE&S, please click here
Firstly we’ll check that you meet the essential criteria that are listed for the role. If you do, we’ll then carry out a more detailed review of your CV to see if your qualifications and experience are a good match for the role(s).
If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to an interview so you can meet us, discuss your Key Achievements, Relevant Experience and Applied knowledge & Skills.
In addition to the above, you’ll also be assessed against a technical competence and the listed behaviours, aligned to our DE&S Behaviours which can be found attached at the bottom of the page.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
How to ApplyApply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 6th September 2020 Follow link to apply Please click here to apply
344 total views, 2 today