DE&S Senior Project Manager
£46,750 – £55,000 per annum (plus benefits). Internal candidates/existing Civil Servants should refer to the Further Information leaflet for salary details.
The Project Manager is responsible to Hd Programme WATERGUARD (WG) for all aspects of the Joint Defence Marking Team (JDMT) delivery of the Defence Unique Identification (UID) Bar-coding programme to time and cost to ensure that Defence remains compliant with the management and reporting of Assets Subject to Special Control (ASSC). Sitting within the wider Defence Capability of Integrated Item Identification (3i) this task encompasses, the retrospective bar-coding of all in-scope Legacy ASSC; the capture of all new in-scope ASSC as it enters the Defence Support Chain (DSC) and the ongoing management and development of the Defence UII Registry, including its exploitation by Defence Industry partners. The role requires a clear understanding of the End-to-End operation of the Defence Support Chain and the requirement to make decisions that necessitate a range of factors to be understood, assessed and judgement applied accordingly.
The JDMT Team Leader will be able to lead a multi-faceted Defence Logistics project, demonstrating the corresponding level of experience and leadership skills to manage a small, niche team of Subject Matter Experts (SME). In addition to the ability to apply sound project management principles and understanding to the post, as the JDMT Asst Hd you will be required to:
• Manage the operational practices of the JDMT ensuring it runs smoothly and meets projected delivery and forecasted requirements.
• Act as a liaison between DE&S & Defence Industry partners by making regular visits and interacting with management and providing SME advice and briefings on UID as required.
• Coordinate with, report and make recommendations to senior management in order to develop the use of UID in the Defence Supply Chain (DSC), improve customer service and drive future plans.
• Cultivate and grow a strong team of committed staff who deliver and maintain customer satisfaction.
• Ensure that all elements of the project are executed economically and in compliance with standardised Defence policies and procedures.
• Keep updated with technological advances related to UID to maintain currency.
• Act as a role model, leading and working closely with a range of stakeholders to deliver the best for our Armed Forces.
Key tasks include the requirement to:
• Liaise regularly with Hd WG and other key stakeholders to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals.
• Regularly evaluate the efficiency of business procedures according to the Defence Marking Programme objectives and apply improvements.
• Develop, document, agree and manage the delivery of the fundamental components of the project (scope, schedule, resource, additional requirements) with the WG Programme Manager.
• Review financial information and budget performance to manage within the Defence Marking Programme budget profile.
• Identify and monitor project risks and benefits (particularly within the wider context of ongoing Defence Logistics Transformation), planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues that affect the project.
• Compile and manage Purchase Orders for the procurement of services and equipment required for the Defence Marking Programme.
• Manage the delivery of goods and services provided to the MoD in the execution of the Defence UID bar-coding programme by commercial suppliers (through a NATO Support Procurement Agency (NSPA) Framework Agreement)
• Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/suppliers and Team Defence.
• Revise and formulate policies that will enhance the Defence Marking Programme and promote their implementation.
• Maintain existing governance arrangements for the delivery of project, defining clear role and responsibilities that align with organisational practice.
• Lead, motivate and develop a small team of experienced logistic specialists.
• Evaluate overall performance by gathering, analysing and interpreting data and metrics.
You will be highly proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook) and have strong verbal and written skills.
This role is RESERVED for SOLE UK Nationals Only.
What you will be assessed against
• Experience of leading and managing a project management team delivering complex portfolio projects.
• Thorough understanding of the UK MoD, its structure and ways of working, the DSC and the Requirements and Policy setting process.
• More than five years of experience managing enterprise-wide data.
• Broad understanding of in service MOD LogIS.
• Significant knowledge and experience in managing and executing data management initiatives.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience with Oracle database, and/or Cognos BI tools preferred.
• A good understanding of the End-to-End operation of the Defence Support Chain
• Senior level MoD experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a Project
• Stakeholder Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Changing and improving
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
Please find ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ attached or click here
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
• Key Achievements
• Relevant Experience
• Applied Knowledge and Skills
For additional guidance on writing a CV for DE&S, please click here
Firstly we’ll check that you meet the essential criteria that are listed for the role. If you do, we’ll then carry out a more detailed review of your CV to see if your qualifications and experience are a good match for the role(s).
If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to an interview so you can meet us, discuss your Key Achievements, Relevant Experience and Applied knowledge & Skills. In addition to the above, you’ll also be assessed against a technical competence and the listed behaviours, aligned to our DE&S Behaviours which can be found attached at the bottom of the page.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
How to ApplyFollow link to apply Please click here to apply Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 18th October 2020
55 total views, 1 today