Full-Time DE&S / SDA Mechanical Engineer
Join an integral part of the UK’s Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country’s armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Would you love the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s leading Defence Technical Projects and Programmes, supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations?
Both Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) and The Submarine Delivery Agency (The SDA) are offering exciting opportunities to join their teams, working with Surface Ships or Submarines.
These roles offer fantastic opportunities as they are mainly office based, but come with the unique opportunity to include some work onboard ships and submarines at the dockyard, and offer the chance to get involved with surveys and trials of new equipment. These roles cover mechanical capability studies across the spectrum of surface and underwater activity.
If you are a Mechanical Engineer with experience from sectors such as defence, maritime, oil and gas, or manufacturing where you will have dealt with for example, but not limited to, propulsion, structures, heavy plant, machinery, autonomous vehicles, auxiliary or ancillary equipment, then please do not hesitate to apply.
Our successful candidates will have a talent for communicating, influencing and making effective decisions. As part of these vital roles, you will have unique access to the front line, supporting the work of the Royal Navy. You will be involved in keeping ships or submarines at sea, allowing them to perform their principle role through being responsible for managing the upkeep of naval assets. You may also be involved earlier in the acquisition of equipment, providing technical support to key aspects of large procurements.
In these roles you will be expected to support technical problem solving, often coupled with appropriate planning abilities to assist in resolving complex engineering problems. You will be required to work with one or many types of systems/equipment including diesel generators, engines, navigation systems, domestic, grey and black water systems, firefighting, air conditioning, hydraulics and high/low pressure air systems.
Please note that due the nature of security, some of these roles may be restricted to Sole UK Nationals only.
The responsibilities will vary from role to role, but will include some of these listed:
• Manage engineering technical requirements, including definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment and change management
• Identify Marine Engineering risk whilst providing guidance on Marine Engineering issues
• Responsible for the development and maintenance of system requirement including in-service support
• Provide specialist advice on the application of safety and environmental management systems
• Determine quality management and assurance approaches and ensure risks are understood and managed
• Produce and contribute to Engineering Management Plans
• Provide support for a range of Marine Engineering Equipment and Systems
• Support Safety Analysis
• Interact with contractors and original equipment manufacturers, liaising with internal and external customers and suppliers
• Support through maintenance periods and assist with fault finding, rectification and continuous improvement
• Managing design queries and changes, contributing to equipment fits and supporting refit periods
• Trials of new equipment including factory acceptance tests with equipment manufacturer or contractor, field, harbour and sea trials.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Mechanical Engineering background
• To be able to demonstrate an understanding of the requirements of mechanical equipment within Maritime environment or identify transferable skills
• Level 4 qualification in a relevant engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• Professional Registered status or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Maritime engineering experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
• Application of Analytical Techniques
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please find ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ here
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
• Key Achievements
• Relevant Experience
• Applied Knowledge and Skills
For additional guidance on writing a CV for DE&S, please click here
Firstly we’ll check that you meet the essential criteria that are listed for the role. If you do, we’ll then carry out a more detailed review of your CV to see if your qualifications and experience are a good match for the role(s).
If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to an interview so you can meet us, discuss your Key Achievements, Relevant Experience and Applied knowledge & Skills. In addition to the above, you’ll also be assessed against a technical competence and the listed behaviours, aligned to our DE&S Behaviours which can be found attached at the bottom of the page.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
How to ApplyApply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 4th October 2020 Follow link to apply Please click here to apply
97 total views, 4 today