Full-Time Deputy Clerk of the Board
The Riverside County Transportation Commission (RCTC/Commission), established through California State law, oversees funding and coordination of all public transportation services within Riverside County. The Commission’s responsibilities have grown in the 41 years since its inception from coordinating highway and transit planning and identifying projects for state and federal funding to responsibility for all aspects of region-wide planning for Riverside County’s mobility and operating toll facilities. Join an amazing team at RCTC and help plan and deliver transportation solutions!
Under general supervision, performs a variety of complex administrative, clerical, organizational, and office support duties in support of the daily operations and activities of RCTC’s administrative office support and Clerk of the Board services functions, including serving as deputy clerk of the Board and assisting the Clerk of the Board with all activities related to RCTC’s Board of Directors and committee meetings, public records management, and performing special projects; provides administrative support to senior management staff; acts as the Clerk of the Board in his or her absence; and performs other duties as required.
This is a single-position classification that is responsible for participating in the administration and daily operations of the Clerk of the Board’s functions and activities, under the direction of the Clerk of the Board. This classification performs a variety of administrative duties, including assisting in the development of Board agendas, administration of filings, records management, and coordinating with other departments. The nature, scope, and diversity of responsibilities of this classification require a broader understanding of RCTC’s functions, the role of the Board of Directors, and the capability of relieving the Clerk of the Board of day-to-day office administrative and coordinative duties, as well as fulfilling some of the duties of the
Required: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade and five (5) years of varied administrative support experience involving the use of computerized information systems and office technology products; public sector administrative support experience in a Clerk of the Board’s or City Clerk’s office is desirable. Associate’s degree or equivalent is preferred.
Examples of TYPICAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Assists in overseeing and performing functions of the day-to-day operations of the Clerk of the Board’s office, including the maintenance of administrative files, resolutions, ordinances, contacts, agreements, and other official documents; performs mandated and other Clerk of the Board duties in the absence of the Clerk of the Board.
- Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for departmental programs; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Assists with preparation of Board and committee meeting agendas, starts the process of creating agendas, reviews for completeness, and submits to the Clerk for final review; assists in the distribution of agenda packets; attends meetings; takes meeting minutes and prepares minutes; assists in preparing public notifications, agendas, minutes, and other documents; publishes, files, and indexes all proceedings of the Board of Directors.
- Arranges Board room in preparation of Board meetings, sets up audio and visual equipment, and orders refreshments.
- Supports the Clerk of the Board with the records management program and records retention and destruction; ensures legal compliance with retention schedules; assists in implementing and administering records retention policies and procedures; researches RCTC documents, historical information, and other information as needed.
- Assists in ensuring compliance with the Public Records Act, the Freedom of Information Act, and the Brown Act; monitors public records requests and escalates to the Clerk as appropriate; ensures that all public records are open to inspection at all times during office hours and that every person’s right to inspect any public record of RCTC is upheld.
- Prepares State of California Statement of Economic Interest Filings.
- Receives and responds to difficult and sensitive problems and inquiries in a professional manner; researches information; identifies and reports findings and takes necessary corrective action.
- Prepares and proofreads correspondence, reports, and other documents from instructions and marginal notes, including confidential materials.
- Performs complex clerical work involving thorough familiarity with policies, procedures and terminology; locates sources of information.
- Works with vendors and consultants in addressing issues with computers, office equipment, phone service, and wireless devices.
- Prepares, organizes, maintains, and publishes information on RCTC’s website.
- Receives and routes incoming telephone calls and performs receptionist duties.
- Receives and prioritizes incoming and outgoing mail.
- Classifies materials by nature of the subject; develops and maintains filing systems as required; maintains informational and operational records.
- Screens reports and agendas for completeness and arithmetic accuracy.
- Assists the public by referrals to information sources and by issuing and explaining how to complete standard forms; answers requests for factual information by consulting various available sources.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Principles, practices, and procedures related to office management and general services.
- Records management principles and practices, including legal requirements for recording, retention, storage, and disclosure.
- Organization and function of public agencies, including the role of an elected Board and appointed committees and boards.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, ordinances, and organizational policies and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility, including Public Records Act, Freedom of Information Act, and Brown Act laws, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Research and reporting methods, techniques, and procedures.
- Principles and practices of data collection and report preparation.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and computer applications related to work.
- Business letter writing and the standard format for reports and correspondence.
- Record keeping principles and procedures.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, RCTC staff and staff of member agencies in person and over the telephone.
- Perform responsible and complex administrative support work with accuracy, speed, and general supervision in assigned timelines, and requiring the use of tact and discretion.
- Interpret, apply, and explain applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and timelines, as well as complex administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Understand the organization and operation of RCTC and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Prepare official minutes, resolutions, ordinances, clear and concise reports, correspondence, policies, procedures, and other written materials.
- Research, analyze, and summarize data and prepare accurate and logical written reports.
- Enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
- Review and maintain complex and extensive records, compiling technical information, and maintaining official records.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
- File materials alphabetically, chronologically, and numerically.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Handle confidential information appropriately.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, and prudence within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Physical & Environmental Elements:
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds
The employee works in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. The employee interfaces with staff, management, other departmental representatives, transportation and government officials, business representatives, and the general public in explaining RCTC policies and requesting and providing information.
How to ApplyAn RCTC employment application and resume must be submitted for consideration by the application deadline. For more information, please visit: https://www.rctc.org/employment/
68 total views, 1 today