Full-Time Dean of Students (Bard High School Early College DC)
Position Description: Dean of Students (Bard High School Early College DC)
About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a tuition-free, credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences following the 9th and 10th grades. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; they receive up to 60 college credits and an associate in arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College, concurrently with a high school diploma. The Bard Early Colleges begin preparing students for college work as early as the 9th grade and offer ongoing guidance and academic supports.
Now in its second decade, the Bard Early College network serves over 2,850 students in campuses in Lower Manhattan, Queens, and Harlem, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; and Baltimore, Maryland. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.
Bard invites applications for a dynamic individual who will join our administrative team as the Dean of Students of a Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) in Washington, D.C. The position will start in the Fall of the 2023-2024 school year.
The responsibilities of the Dean of Students of BHSEC DC include overseeing and coordinating student support services, including the work of the guidance department, College Transfer Office, and student activities; and implementing and monitoring the school’s attendance and disciplinary policies. In addition, the Dean of Students is expected to meet regularly with the other school administrators, and is encouraged to teach each semester.
- Oversee the school’s student support services, including guidance, College Transfer, and socio-emotional and academic services
- Oversee the development and implementation of a socio-emotional advisory curriculum
- Manage the school’s attendance policies and procedures
- Manage the school’s disciplinary policies and procedures, with a focus on strengths-based and restorative approaches
- Coordinate student activities, clubs, athletics, and field trips
- Collaborate with Deans of Students across the Bard Early Colleges Network
- Teach one course section each semester, or lead an equivalent number of advisory sessions
- Work with the Dean of Studies on coordinating targeted student supports
The Dean of Students’ professional and academic experience should ideally span both secondary and postsecondary teaching and administration, and, where relevant, scholarship. The successful candidate for the position will possess the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Master’s degree or higher, preferably in a liberal arts and sciences discipline (corresponding to the fields available for study within the Bard curriculum), counseling, social work, or education
- At least three years of experience working with adolescents in a student support role
- Prior administrative experience in an educational and/or non-profit setting, preferably in a leadership role
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The ability and strong desire to work as part of a leadership team during the startup years of a school
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: Based on experience and following the guidelines provided here https://dcps.dc.gov/page/compensation
Location: Bard High School Early College in Washington, D.C.
Start Date: August 2023
How to ApplyPlease apply directly with Bard College / Bard Early Colleges. Do this by clicking on the “Apply Now” button found through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/106427 Use the Interfolio link provided to upload the following documents directly with Bard College:
- Letter of interest
- C.V. / resume
- Contact information for three references
336 total views, 0 today