Full-Time Content Designer
UpTogether is a national organization of individuals across the country with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities who share a passion for social justice and racial equity. Our mission is to recognize, highlight and invest in the ingenuity and entrepreneurship of people in undervalued communities and partner with government and philanthropy to do the same.
After working with thousands of families since our founding in 2001, at UpTogether, we are certain people don’t live in poverty because they are lazy, uneducated, or mismanage money, as stereotypes would indicate. Instead, the poverty cycle, which disproportionately impacts Black and Latinx communities, can be traced to well-intentioned but inadequate governmental and charitable policies and practices that rely on a traditional top-down approach.
UpTogether’s Strengths Based Approach (SBA) includes:
- Community: We center our work around the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Capital: We invest in our members with unrestricted cash in recognition of the initiatives they are taking to improve their lives.
- Choice: We trust that people in undervalued communities know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
UpTogether reveals and accelerates the initiative people are taking to improve their lives.
As a community, a movement, and a platform, we use the power of information—compelling insights and personal success stories—to transform stereotypes, beliefs, practices, and policies. Together with our members, we are championing a community-led movement to boost economic and social mobility in communities that have been undervalued and underinvested in for far too long.
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We honor the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Impact: We test and scale strategies for systems adoption of a strength-based approach to accelerate socioeconomic mobility for people living at or below the poverty line in the U.S.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of families in undervalued communities and engage the knowledge, experience, and perspectives of our board, partners, and staff to build and grow a strength-based approach to end poverty.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We acknowledge that leadership is not based on a title and honor the many forms in which it appears. We celebrate leadership that embodies all of our organizational values, driving us to act against the dominating deficit-based approach to fighting poverty.
- Choice: We trust that people living at or below the poverty line know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
The Content Designer will support the development of The UpTogether Community, our technology platform. This position will be tasked with creating content for the platform, both for member facing, and internal use. Additionally, the Content Designer will work with Communications and Support teams to ensure language is consistent across all UpTogether channels.
The Content Designer will also be responsible for the development and maintenance of an authoritative content repository detailing all copy on the UpTogether platform, knowledge center, notifications, and other channels. It is the responsibility of the Content Designer to maintain this resource in a timely and accurate manner.
The Content Designer will work closely with User Experience Researchers and Designers to intimately understand user needs, develop and document a content strategy, and advocate for these needs across every element of the UpTogether platform.
The Content Designer reports to the Director of User Experience. This is a 100% remote position (must be based in the United States). The successful candidate will have a reliable internet connection and functional work environment, including a fully functional computer (laptop or desktop) with video conferencing capabilities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Content Development & Strategy
- Plan, write, edit, test and improve platform-specific content, including platform interface language, product education materials, product names, navigational nomenclature and other content throughout UpTogether community experiences
Copy & Content Management
- Establish content design practices at a rapidly scaling non-profit with a maturing UX and product culture
- Lead exploration and adoption of a robust content management system to improve content management practices in product design and development.
- Help apply and maintain consistency with content standards, and evolve UpTogether’s voice
Process Development & Improvement
- Champion best practices for creating accessible, easy-to-understand content for users across different teams with varied UX competencies (e.g.: working with member relations manager on defining style guidelines for how-to articles/tutorials)
- Work closely with UX researchers and designers to hone content consistency/accessibility through prototyping and testing
- Report progress regularly to Director of User Experience
- Proven ability to thrive in a remote work environment; self-directed; proactively reaches out; responsive; comfortable in a virtual setting
- Ability to thrive in a fast-changing environment, flexible in the pursuit of goals
- Demonstrated commitment to, or passion for, our mission; deep belief and trust in the innate capabilities of families with low incomes and their communities; willingness to engage in conversations aimed at addressing erroneous stereotypes about low-income people and people of color
- A deep belief in and operates according to UpTogether’s Core Values of Community, Impact, Collaboration, Racial Equity, Leadership, and Choice
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary range is $75,000 to $95,000, commensurate with experience.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to ApplyTo Apply To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter here. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. We ask that you do not include a photo or image of yourself on your resume or cover letter. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
250 total views, 0 today