Full-Time Clinical Engineer – Capital
The Clinical Engineer assists the Director in the Capital Equipment process for the Hospital. The Clinical Engineer works directly with clinical users and Medical Engineering staff in developing technical specifications for inclusion in bidding documents and final purchasing contracts. The Clinical Engineer will work closely with medical equipment vendors, consulting engineers and architects to assist with the medical equipment planning needed throughout the redevelopment work across the campus of the Hospital. The Clinical Engineer assists with the implementation and commissioning of medical equipment and works closely with Information Services to ensure that the equipment interfaces with the Hospital’s Information Systems (EPIC and others as appropriate).
Here’s What You’ll Do
- Requirement Analysis: collaborates with Medical Engineering staff, and clinical users to analyze clinical needs for medical equipment in various patient care areas, with both internal & external stakeholders, and within the technical constraints imposed by SickKids environment
- Market Analysis: performs technology assessment, evaluation, and selection of potential vendors for suitable systems
- Assist with the medical equipment planning for Hospital wide Project Redevelopment work which includes: developing, reviewing, and coordinating clinical equipment needs throughout the planning process with various stakeholders
- Works with the project planning team to establish, review and incorporate equipment lists into the planning and implementation phase of capital projects; assists with developing the medical equipment budget, procurement, and the installation of clinical equipment
- RFP Preparation: based on requirement analysis, prepare vendor RFP, RFI and RFQ in collaboration with the SickKids Purchasing Department
- Analyze replies to RFP: consider options with departmental users, IS staff and Medical Engineering colleagues; arrange all tasks (e.g., demos, clinical and technical evaluations) associated with RFP process
- Assist in the evaluation of systems taking into consideration Human Factors Engineering.
- Ensures that equipment under evaluation meets all regulatory requirements such as Health Canada and CSA approval
- Develops evaluation tools for the assessment and ranking of the RFP replies with the view to recommend the preferred vendor
- Assists Director in developing the final equipment configuration of equipment and support services required to maintain the new technology
- Obtains final equipment quotes and documentation for inclusion in development of equipment schedules
- Develops equipment Schedule drafts based on acceptable templates
- Participates with the Director in contract negotiation with vendors, as required
- Works with the Director of the department and clinical users to develop project plan with timelines and contingencies
- Organizes ordering of all hardware and software required for the project;
- Provides regular reports to management and clinical users on the status of the project
- Assists clinical users in the development of operational procedures for the use of equipment after implementation
- Coordinates the implementation of new or relocated medical equipment.
- Assists in identifying the environmental conditions for the equipment to ensure they are in place prior to installation
- Works with Information Services staff to ensure that the medical equipment interfaces to the Hospital Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and other digital systems
- Assist in the coordination for the safe disposal of replaced medical equipment
- Ensures that acquired equipment is compliant with Hospital’s Patient Privacy and cybersecurity requirements
- Prepares reports and presentations related to the progress on the Capital Project related to Medical Equipment for the Director
- Maintains a process for capturing service contract costs for use in yearly operating budget planning
- Participates in the QA program for the department
- Participates in the maintenance of the Hazard Alerts and Recalls system for the Hospital. This is a major Risk Management priority, as the Hospital needs to ensure that we address all recalls for medical equipment, supplies and other items that are used in the Hospital.
- Assist (as required) in the maintenance of the Medical Equipment Database
Here’s What You’ll Need
- P.Eng., or eligibility to be registered with the Association of Professional Engineers Ontario
- 5 years in similar positions within the Biomedical Engineering Industry
- Good understanding of interfacing Computerized Medical Systems to Hospital Information Systems
- Effective communication and analysis skills; highly self-directed, can work independently while collaborating well within a variety of internal teams and system partners.
- Solid collaborative & inclusive leadership
- Strong attention to detail and efficient time-management skills with the ability to establish clear priority responsibilities to address key strategic and emerging needs
- Understands the importance of and demonstrates a commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Knowledge of project management tools
Employment Type: Full-time, Permanent.
Join the SickKids Family. Work alongside the best & brightest. Flexible hybrid work environment. Freedom to innovate & be your authentic self. Learnings galore, incl. tuition reimbursement. Wellness & Peer Support Programs. Health Benefits & DB Pension Plan.
How to ApplyTo apply, please visit The Hospital for Sick Children's (SickKids) website: https://career.sickkids.ca:8001/psc/CRPRD/CAREER/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=18740&PostingSeq=1
80 total views, 4 today