Full-Time Chief Financial Officer
The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is in search of a visionary financial expert who is ready to shape the future of our organization as the Chief Financial Officer.
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $120,000 to $139,100 per year plus a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical with HRA, dental, vision, Life and LTD insurance, medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, 403(b) retirement plan with Roth option, complimentary membership and guest passes, paid holidays, personal business time, sick leave, and vacation.
Directs ASDM’s financial planning and accounting practices as well as its relationship with banking institutions and the financial community by performing the below duties personally or through department managers/staff and third party contractors. Oversees information technology, contracts, health insurance acquisition and management. Shares responsibility of overseeing risk management, cybersecurity, and engagement of legal services with Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director. Senior-level position and member of the Museum’s Leadership Team, which requires considerable interaction and collaboration with other directors to ensure healthy administration of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees and directs treasury, budgeting, audit, tax, accounting, purchasing, real estate, and long range forecasting activities for the organization.
- Directs the Accounting Manager in providing and directing procedures and computer application systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services.
- Appraises the organization’s financial position and issues periodic reports on organization’s financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
- Directs and coordinates the establishment of budget programs.
- Coordinates tax reporting programs.
- Analyzes, consolidates, and directs all cost accounting procedures together with other statistical and routine reports.
- Provides all financial information used in the annual report, as well as preparation of the Treasurer’s report for the annual meeting.
- Directs and analyzes studies of general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the organization’s policies and operations.
- Analyzes operational issues impacting functional groups and the whole institution, and determines their financial impact.
- Evaluates and recommends business partnering opportunities.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with financial institutions, and the investment community.
- Establishes and maintains an environment with strong accounting and financial controls.
- Serves as Corporate Compliance Officer to oversee the Museum’s compliance program.
- Provides staff support to the Finance Committee and Investment Committee; works with Treasurer to organize and lead meetings and ensures follow-up items are addressed.
- Coordinates investment management with the Finance Council.
- Works with the Board of Trustees to establish appropriate policies and targets for reserves.
- In coordination with the Treasurer, provides financial updates to the Board of Trustees.
- Serves on the union contract negotiating team.
- Appraises organization’s cybersecurity risks and vulnerabilities and helps resource risk mitigation initiatives.
- Oversees an enterprise-wide cybersecurity program.
- Educates and informs the Board of Trustees about risk trends, the organization’s risk profile, and cyber mitigation efforts.
Manages two subordinate managers who supervise a total of 5-6 employees in Accounts Payable/Receivables, Purchasing, and Information Technology. The position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these departments. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree (M. A.) or equivalent preferred, in addition to a minimum of eight years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Blackbaud accounting software, payroll and vendor payment software, Excel spreadsheet software, and Word word-processing software. An individual should be familiar with Access database software and third party vendor payroll systems. Basic use of internet and in-house software is also required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Certified Public Accountant certificate (State of Arizona) preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
Two to three years Public Accounting experience combined with some industry and previous not-for-profit experience, particularly in fund accounting, is desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above description reflects a general overview of the responsibilities, reporting relationships and position requirements for this job classification. It is not intended to be a complete description of all duties and requirements that may be inherent in the position.
How to ApplyApplications must be submitted through our applicant portal in order to be considered. To apply, please visit the Museum's Career page at: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=5812008 Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please understand that if offered a position, you will be required to successfully complete a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen as final conditions of employment. The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is a drug and alcohol free workplace and participates in E-Verify.
88 total views, 0 today