Full-Time Bookkeeper and Office Manager
Bookkeeper and Office Manager (must be based close to Oakland, CA)
FII-National (FII) dba UpTogether is a national organization of individuals across the country with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities who share a passion for social justice and racial equity. Our mission is to recognize, highlight and invest in the ingenuity and entrepreneurship of people in undervalued communities and partner with government and philanthropy to do the same.
After working with thousands of families since our founding in 2001, at UpTogether, we are certain people don’t live in poverty because they are lazy, uneducated, or mismanage money, as stereotypes would indicate. Instead, the poverty cycle, which disproportionately impacts Black and Latinx communities, can be traced to well-intentioned but inadequate governmental and charitable policies and practices that rely on a traditional top-down approach.
UpTogether’s Strengths Based Approach (SBA) includes:
- Community: We center our work around the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Capital: We invest in our members with unrestricted cash in recognition of the initiatives they are taking to improve their lives.
- Choice: We trust that people in undervalued communities know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
UpTogether reveals and accelerates the initiative people are taking to improve their lives.
As a community, a movement, and a platform, we use the power of information—compelling insights and personal success stories—to transform stereotypes, beliefs, practices, and policies. Together with our members, we are championing a community-led movement to boost economic and social mobility in communities that have been undervalued and underinvested in for far too long.
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We honor the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Impact: We test and scale strategies for systems adoption of a strength-based approach to accelerate socioeconomic mobility for people living at or below the poverty line in the U.S.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of families in undervalued communities and engage the knowledge, experience, and perspectives of our board, partners, and staff to build and grow a strength-based approach to end poverty.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We acknowledge that leadership is not based on a title and honor the many forms in which it appears. We celebrate leadership that embodies all of our organizational values, driving us to act against the dominating deficit-based approach to fighting poverty.
- Choice: We trust that people living at or below the poverty line know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
Under the direction of the Director of Finance, the Office Manager/Bookkeeper will report to the Associate Director of Finance and work within the Finance team to support the Organization, and partner with other organizational departments. We are a paperless office, heavy on the technology side and require significant computer experience.
This is a remote & on-site position, some responsibilities will require you to work on-site at the National office in Oakland, CA for up to 2 hours a week. The successful candidate will have a reliable internet connection and functional work environment, including a fully functional computer (laptop or desktop) with video conferencing capabilities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs timely and accurate recording of accounts payables and other financial data
- Prepare check payments as needed
- Deposit checks received and perform other banking errands
- Ensures appropriate approvals for all payments
- Checks and verifies source documents such as invoices, receipts
- Assist with audits
- Maintain electronic and physical filing system to support financial records
- Maintains the office which includes correspondence, filing system, supplies and monitoring clerical functions
- Takes the lead in managing office systems needs (i.e. internet, phone and maintenance)
- Responsible for office reorganization, decor or move out
- Maintains a welcoming office environment.
- Support in planning and organizing staff related activities as needed
- Support with printings and mailings as needed
- Check on the office at least once a week
- Pick up, scan, email and file all mail at least once a week
- Experience with Quickbooks is required
- Experience with Bill.com is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of Accounts payable, Accounts receivable, General Ledger, Financial statements and month end/year end close cycle.
- Strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google applications required;
- Solid understanding of US GAAP and concepts relating to cash, revenue, and general accounting principles.
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance/Business Administration or equivalent 2 year minimum Bookkeeping experience.
- A detail and solution oriented mindset, the ability to prioritize effectively, meet deadlines, follow through to execute all tasks and demonstrate a high degree of accuracy.
- Self starter with excellent research, analytical, time management and organizational skills
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, responding to internal and external needs in a timely manner and listening, being thoughtful in your response, and setting clear expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member across disciplines with team members in finance, partnerships & revenue, technology and operations.
- Proven ability to thrive in a remote work environment; self-directed; proactively reaches out; responsive; comfortable in a virtual setting
- Ability to travel, as needed, for in-person and occasional team meetings.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-changing environment, flexible in the pursuit of goals
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary range is $60,000–$70,000 per annum.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to ApplyTo be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via this link here. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. We ask that you do not include a photo or image of yourself on your resume or cover letter. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
329 total views, 0 today