Full-Time Book Designer
Timber Press is a publisher located in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is to share the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history.
The Timber Press art department builds beautiful, essential books for gardeners, landscape professionals, scientists, foragers, hikers, and plant lovers. We invite the reader to explore the natural world, whether in the garden, in the wild, or in the pages of a well-designed book. Grow with us!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Envision, design, and produce book interiors and covers, including: researching design and market trends; designing type specifications and layout systems; completing page revisions and text corrections; and preparing production-ready book files.
- Prepare and present your work at critiques and design meetings.
- Productively encourage, receive, and synthesize criticism of your work, and the work of your team, from a variety of collaborators.
- Build and maintain a pool of freelance designers and illustrators.
- Manage freelance designers and direct cover design, interior design, layout, and production.
- Manage art commissions, including: communicating with illustrators; assessing and maintaining budgets; writing contracts; and steering the development of art assets as necessary for each project.
- Remain up-to-date on trends in typography, illustration, photography, and design; be prepared to share and discuss at Art Department meetings.
- Collaborate with editors, designers, marketing, and production staff throughout the book development process.
- Other tasks as required.
Education & Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated experience in a professional design setting, preferably in book design and production.
- Clear understanding of the structure, layout, and production of professionally printed, bound, and manufactured books.
- Proven skills in Adobe Creative Suite applications—expert level in InDesign, high proficiency in Illustrator and Acrobat, and a working understanding of Photoshop and Bridge. Fluency in MS Excel and Word also beneficial.
- Extensive experience working with typography and typesetting in a publishing environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Our books are written, read, and depended upon by experts in their fields—as such, our work requires an unfailing dedication to accuracy and procedure. Must demonstrate an ability to strictly adhere to an array of checklists, style guides, and quality assurance checks that such rigor demands.
- An interest in plants, gardening, and/or natural sciences is recommended, but not required.
- Must have close visual acuity
- Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time
Timber Press is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Timber Press makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Timber Press policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, income, political opinion, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic characteristics or information, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and not tolerated by Timber Press.
How to ApplyAlong with your resume, please send a PDF (or link to an online portfolio) to email@example.com
797 total views, 0 today