POSITION TITLE: Staff Attorney (Job#2018-20)
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: General Counsel
QUANTITY: Two (2) Positions Available
LOCATION: St. Paul Office
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time/Exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO staff union
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of Education Minnesota’s General Counsel, Staff Attorneys work with a team of lawyers to provide legal assistance, advice, and representation to members, locals and affiliates of Education Minnesota, and to support the organization’s work for members and staff, including but not limited to legislative, professional development, local capacity, negotiations, business, equity, governance, policy, and organizing.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide legal assistance and representation to members, locals and affiliates as directed and in accordance with Education Minnesota’s Legal Services Policy.
• Manage caseload of employment, licensure, and other civil cases, and work with outside counsel who are providing representation in criminal and maltreatment of minors (Minnesota Department of Education) cases.
• Provide consultation and advice to Education Minnesota staff and members as needed.
• Recommend, develop and implement legal and other training programs.
• Participate in and/or lead organizational initiatives, projects, and mandates.
• Work with other areas of the organization on matters of mutual concern.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Basic understanding of Minnesota’s public sector labor and employment laws.
• Basic understanding of both the organizing and service models of union advocacy; commitment and willingness to deploy either/both models as determined by Education Minnesota
• Basic computer skills including word processing.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups of people.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to perform and work well under deadlines/pressures.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects in a timely fashion.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Juris Doctorate degree
• Admitted to practice in Minnesota state courts or the ability to be admitted within 10 months.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Experience with PELRA (Minn. Stat. chapter 179A), Minn. Stat §122A. 40 and 122A.41, and Minn. Stat chapter 13.
• Experience in labor relations.
• Experience and/or training as an educator.
• Experience and/or training with school law.
• Experience in employment litigation.
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: Continuously sit, talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
• Some travel, evening and weekend work required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is open until midnight of Tuesday, June 22, 2018.
How to ApplyFor consideration submit a resume and coverletter electronically through the job link located on the Education Minnesota Website at www.educationminnesota.org or by pasting the following link in your browser: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=faa82ad6-58ce-4071-80c8-3e481e725e0a&jobId=250306&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001 Education Minnesota - Human Resources - 41 Sherburne Avenue - St. Paul, MN 55103
27 total views, 1 today