Full-Time Associate Vice President of Budget and Finance, Chief Financial Officer (#20-014)
Bastyr University is seeking an experienced and dedicated Associate Vice President of Budget and Finance/CFO.
For the past 40 years, Bastyr University has served as the world’s leading academic center for advancing and integrating knowledge in the natural health arts and sciences. Our mission is to educate future leaders in the natural health arts and sciences. Through our integrated approach to education, research, and clinical service, we are transforming the health and well-being of the human community.
The Associate Vice President of Budget and Finance/CFO has management oversight and responsibility for all financial functions of the University and oversees all revenues, budgets, expenses, capital expenditures, investments, and debt. The CFO also oversees the operations of auxiliary services, including Clinic, Dispensary, Bookstore, Dining Services, and Facilities.
• Budget preparation, development, and training – 30%
• General administration, operations, reporting and analyses – 30%
• Coaching, managing and mentoring staff – 25%
• Maintaining internal relationships and external partnerships – 10%
• Strategic planning and modeling – 5%
• Manages and/or directs the financial functions of the University including accounting, cash flow, treasury, budget, audit, and taxes to achieve short and long-term strategic goals established by the Board of Trustees and the President.
• Directs the development of financial reports and analyses to inform management and the Board of Trustees about the University’s financial position, results of operations, variances against budgets, and other relevant financial matters. Oversees the development of internal and external operational reports, financial statements, and annual reports.
• Prepares and analyzes cash management plans of the University. Manages cash flow and banking requirements both short- and long-term, including University investments, debts, and banking relationships.
• Oversees the annual development of the University operating and capital budgets. Directs the monitoring of the operating and capital budgets to ensure spending by all departments is conducted within allocated resources.
• Manages auxiliary operations, including Facilities, University Bookstore, Dining Commons, and Clinic business operations to ensure that the enterprises are managed in the most customer-service oriented, financially self-sustaining, and cost-effective manner possible while still delivering high quality services to our students, faculty and staff.
• Identifies and recommends strategies for diversifying University revenue.
• Provides available options to administrators in order to meet their needs within the constraints of the budget. Works to develop new budgeting models when current options are no longer sufficient, while reducing cost of all business operations when feasible.
• Maintains strong customer service relationships with administrators, deans, department chairs, budget managers, faculty, staff, students, student organizations, and other University-wide constituencies.
• Provides personnel oversight of all direct reports, including regular meetings, performance coaching, development planning, and annual personnel reviews.
• Assists the University with developing tuition and fee changes, tuition discount rates and scholarship allocations.
• Serves as an authorized signer to approve check runs and wire transfers.
• Maintains positive relationships with University attorneys, CPAs, bankers, insurance brokers and carriers, property managers, service providers, and federal/state/municipal agencies.
• Represents the University at professional and community organizations to promote a positive image for the University. Serves as key advisor to the President on university-wide issues and participates in the President’s Cabinet and the President’s Executive Leadership Team.
• Assists in the development of the University’s long-range plans and strategic goals/objectives.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the University President.
Education and Experience Expectations:
• A minimum of 10 years of financial management experience, of which at least three years include experience at the executive level in a university, college, or nonprofit organization
• A Master’s degree, CMA, or CPA is required; relevant combination of education and experience may be considered
• Supervisory/management experience required
• Proficiency in analyzing and interpreting complex budget and financial data
• In depth knowledge and understanding of accounting principles and procedures
• Thorough knowledge of fund accounting as applied to colleges and universities
• Knowledge of strategic planning
• Knowledge of basic concepts of natural medicine is helpful
• Ability to develop and recommend budget processes and strategies, methodologies for forecasting expenditures, revenues, and allocation of resources
• Analytical, qualitative, communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
• Successful experience in budget forecasting and modeling
• Experience budgeting for facility projects and operations, creation of new programs/initiatives, and auxiliary/self-funded operations
• Ability to sustain productive, mutually respectful and collaborative interpersonal working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administrators
• Ability to work independently and take initiative, as well as work in a team-oriented environment
• Ability to effectively communicate financial policies and information in an understandable fashion to those who may have limited experience or expertise
• Strong skills in utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel. Familiarity with financial systems (e.g., Abila)
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Comprehensive benefits package includes Health, Dental & Vision, 403b plans, Section 125 plans and generous paid time-off.
Our faculty and staff are committed to achieving our mission by educating students to be future leaders in the natural health arts and sciences. Bastyr University promotes a work environment that allows students, faculty and staff to develop their interests and talents while experiencing a sense of community and a commitment to diversity.
Bastyr University is an equal opportunity institution. We do not discriminate in matters of employment or participation in programs, services or benefits on the basis of gender, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, individuals with disabilities, genetic information, or veteran status. Our programs, services and facilities are accessible to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the university in advance if you require special accommodation due to a disability.
Special Note: All applicants must prove authorization to work in the United States at the time of a position offer. Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Any applicants requiring special assistance during the application process should contact the Human Resources department by phone (425) 602-3087 or fax (425) 602-3058 or email email@example.com.
How to ApplyPlease refer to job #20-014 and position title when applying and send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org EEO Open until filled.
74 total views, 1 today