Full-Time Assistant Public Defender – Level III
About Kalamazoo Defender
Kalamazoo Defender provides constitutionally guaranteed representation to adult individuals charged with a crime who cannot afford an attorney. Kalamazoo Defender is an independent non-profit whose model envisions a first-class public defender office for Kalamazoo County that prioritizes maturation of talent, attention to detail, and zealous representation.
The Assistant Public Defender will work within a dynamic, innovative legal program, backed by a County capable of maximizing Kalamazoo Defender’s mission. They will be responsible for delivering a holistic approach, engaging with the community, and addressing systemic issues while delivering on their responsibilities.
Their responsibilities will include:
- Provide court appointed indigent defense services within Kalamazoo County Courts.
- Carry a felony caseload with supervision from the Chief Public Defender.
- Review charging instruments, police reports, and other discovery provided by the Prosecution.
- Promptly meet with clients and learn the client’s goals for the representation and any special needs of the client.
- Determine what further fact investigation to undertake and employ the services of internal investigators or outside investigators as agreed upon with the Chief Public Defender.
- Determine what outside expertise is required to understand the case and/or present the best factual case to the Court’s finder of fact.
- Determine what legal issues need investigation, research accordingly, and present them in the appropriate forum, including interlocutory appeals.
- Negotiate with the Prosecution and promptly advise the client of the status of those negotiations.
- Litigate any necessary and appropriate legal issues, including bringing cases to trial.
- Maintain availability to other staff members for consultation and education; participate in training programs; maintain current knowledge of appropriate support functions.
- Maintain accurate and complete case files.
- Participate in, administer, or supervise legal clinics held in community forums.
- Mentor junior Assistant Public Defenders.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned by the Chief Public Defender.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- A Juris Doctorate, licensed to practice in the State of Michigan, and in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan.
- At least seven years of experience as an attorney with five or more years of experience litigating criminal cases, felony criminal trial experience, and experience with complicated and serious offenses.
- Commitment to the holistic model at the heart of Kalamazoo Defender’s mission.
- Personal and/or professional experience working with clients from the communities served by Kalamazoo Defender; an understanding of the ways in which racism and systemic barriers put Kalamazoo’s clients at a greater risk of facing charges.
- Experience in a public defender office and/or a legal aid organization with a similar mission and/or similar case work strongly preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated record of successfully moving legal cases forward from client intake to investigation and completion.
- Administrative and supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary for this position is within the range of $90,000 – $105,000. Benefits include superior health care coverage, generous retirement contributions, and generous paid time off. In addition, employees’ children who attend Kalamazoo Public Schools may participate in the Kalamazoo Promise, which can provide free or reduced college tuition.
How to Apply
ContactAmber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials by completing a Talent Profile or email Amber directly at email@example.com. Please note that a cover letter is required to complete your application for this position. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
50 total views, 1 today