Full-Time Administrative Assistant to the Principal (Bard High School Early College Queens)
About the Bard High School Early Colleges
The Bard High School Early Colleges are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a tuition-free, credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences following the 9th and 10th grades. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; they receive up to 60 college credits and an associate in arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College, concurrently with a high school diploma. The Bard High School Early Colleges begin preparing students for college work as early as the 9th grade and offer ongoing guidance and academic support.
Now in its second decade, the Bard High School Early College network serves over 2,900 students in campuses in Lower Manhattan and Queens, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and Washington, DC. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.
The administrative assistant to the principal is tasked with maintaining organization and supporting prioritization of issues that involve the BHSEC Queens Principal and assisting in the smooth operation of the school both internally as well as in its interactions with its parent institutions – the New York City Department of Education and Bard College. There can be flexibility in the exact schedule worked each week in consultation with the Principal; however, a typical work day would be 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, with a minimum of a 30-minute unpaid lunch break to be taken each day. The pay rate for this position is $26.88 per hour. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing principal’s schedule and keeping calendar updated.
- Checking principal’s email accounts to stay informed, following up on emails that require administrative work (i.e. scheduling), and bringing emails that are of particular importance to principal’s attention.
- Sending emails and/or making phone calls upon principal’s request to faculty, staff, parents, students, individuals at the NYC DOE, and individuals at Bard College.
- Answering principal’s phone line and picking up principal’s voicemails.
- Acting as a liaison between faculty/staff and principal in passing on messages, setting up meetings, answering or relaying questions, and handling related administrative tasks.
- Being aware of deadlines and compliance items set by the New York City Department of Education, as published in Principals’ Weekly and sent to principal in emails, and sending out important information and deadlines to the proper individuals on the staff and faculty.
- Editing/proofreading documents that the principal has written.
- Scheduling meetings with parents, sending letters home, and maintaining a record of communications when needed (e.g. Academic Honesty)
- Supporting meetings for outside visitors or candidates including finalizing agendas, arranging food for guests, and set up and breakdown of rooms when necessary.
- Using NYC DOE systems such as ATS, STARS, Principals’ Portal, FAMIS, etc…
- Creating documents (agendas, letters, etc…) in Microsoft Word and spreadsheets in MS Excel.
- Organizing paperwork/files, both in hard copy and digitally. Copying, scanning, etc… as needed.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information, employee concerns, parent and student concerns.
- Collecting and securing monies for events run by the school, log all funds collected and place in the school safe.
- Collaborating with budgeting support ensuring the proper flow and recording of funds.
- Supporting Admissions support 0 – 3 hours/day based on seasonal need.
- Performing other organizational-related tasks as needed to aid in the smooth operation of the school.
Start Date: As soon as possible in 2023
Location: Bard High School Early College in Queens, NY
Job Type: Full-Time position with benefits
Compensation: The pay rate for this position is $26.88 per hour. It is a FT position with benefits.
How to ApplyPlease apply directly with Bard College / Bard Early Colleges. Do this by clicking on the “Apply Now” button found through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/117858 Use the Interfolio link provided to upload the following documents directly with Bard College:
- a letter of interest
- a list of 3 references, including their contact information
156 total views, 0 today