Full-Time Administrative Assistant I, Department of Geological Sciences and Department of Geography
Administrative Assistant I, Department of Geological Sciences and Department of Geography
Bridgewater State University is an inclusive community dedicated to the lifelong success of all students, focused on the continuous improvement of its people, and responsible for leading innovation that benefits Southeastern Massachusetts, the commonwealth, and the world. Bridgewater’s accessible environment of teaching and learning stimulates critical thinking, pursuit of new knowledge, and deeper understanding, the cultivation of meaningful and diverse interpersonal relationships, and fostering an appreciation for global engagement, all aimed at transforming lives and improving the human condition.
Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is reflected in our https://www.bridgew.edu/bsuvalues, which ensure that all students are supported and succeed.
Bridgewater State University is equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Members of underrepresented groups, and those committed to working in a diverse cultural environment, are strongly encouraged to apply.
The mission of the Department of Geological Sciences and the Department of Geography is to prepare students for exciting careers and graduate school through high quality instruction in small classes and close collaboration between faculty members and students on projects. Each Department has the goal of providing students with a strong foundation in their respective discipline, one that also promotes critical thinking and lifetime learning. Successful candidates will be staff members that can work with their colleagues to help meet the mission of the departments in serving and supporting our racially and ethnically diverse campus community. We are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome, and included. The Department of Geological Sciences and the Department of Geography are in the Dana Mohler-Faria Science and Mathematics Center where faculty and staff work with students in labs equipped with modern equipment and technology.
The Department of Geography has 6 full-time faculty members and offers 4 bachelor’s degree programs and 3 minor programs.
The Department of Geological Sciences has 5 full-time faculty members and offers 4 bachelor’s degree programs and 2 minor programs.
The Department of Geography and the Department of Geological Sciences at Bridgewater State University invite applications for position Administrative Assistant I. Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Administrative Assistant I assists the Chairpersons and diverse group of faculty of the two departments with the daily activities, including scheduling, assignment of advisees to faculty members, delivery of mail to departmental members, assistance with student reports and work orders. The Administrative Assistant provides the public face of the departments for a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. In addition, this role will provide support for a multicultural and inclusive BSU community, webpage maintenance, processes purchasing, and other orders for the departments, and provides administrative support to the faculty of both departments.
This is a full-time, 12-month, AFSCME position
Tour of Duty: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
(Sat. and Sun. as days off)
(Subject to Change)
This is an AFSCME unit position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
Position Type: AFSCME Classified
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
• Receive, direct, or respond to departmental inquiries, provide information and direction, and assist all students with their questions. Maintain positive student interactions: greet, disseminate information, and answer questions for courses and equivalencies and field questions to assist in advising a diverse group of current and transfer students.
• Assist both Chairpersons in preparing, analyzing, and managing the departments’ schedule.
• Coordinate student advisor assignments; update and maintain changes to advising handouts and manage all forms for student academic use. Manage lab access permissions for students and part time faculty at the start of each semester, assist in paperwork submission and record keeping for research students.
• Administer and monitor the purchase orders for Geography and Geology supplies and hospitality events for the departments. Maintain office supplies by checking inventory and ordering items for all departments’ team members.
• Assist Faculty with bookings as needed (meetings, seminars, and special events) through Conferences and Events; assist with advertising and support for the departments’ activities.
• Maintain attendance records, mailbox distribution, posting of pertinent information for students and faculty; monitor both department’s activities to ensure effective communication and office efficiency. Maintain record of telephone extensions and room numbers for all faculty.
• Communicate with the departments’ faculty and interface with other BSU departments within the College of Science and Mathematics, Academic Affairs, Human Resources, Academic Achievement Center, Registrar, and Facilities to exchange information and coordinate efforts.
• Compile data and prepare reports concerning assigned department activities to furnish required information and to make recommendations concerning procedures and activities.
• Maintain copy machines and printers to support faculty with daily needs. Communicate office equipment malfunctions to full and part time faculty. Pick up copies from the University Copy Center as needed.
• Communicate faculty absences / leaves, general building, office, or teaching space repairs, appropriate vendors, inform and update faculty of space issues as needed.
• Compile faculty evaluations, package and label evaluations for full and part time faculty; collect and process forms and deliver to the Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Science and Mathematics in each Fall and Spring semester.
• Maintain a fair and equitable record of student successes, including admissions to graduate programs, jobs and internships.
• Assist with the onboarding of new members of either department, including Full and Part Time Faculty and new Staff to communicate policies and procedures specific to the Department of Geological Sciences, the Department of Geography, and to the University.
• Additional responsibilities or special projects as directed by either Chairperson consistent with rank and position.
• Work proactively to promote the departments externally through maintaining intranet and extranet sites by communicating changes with the Web Team, coordinate a newsletter and updates to social media sites and assist with advertising and support for departmental activities.
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in higher education office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions listed on Mass state job specifications.
• Commitment to customer service excellence/support to enhance an environment of equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Passion for and commitment for equality and dedication to diversity efforts.
• Knowledge of the types and uses of general office equipment.
• Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
• Ability to deal tactfully with others and to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
• Ability to establish rapport and maintain harmonious working relationships with persons from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents.
• Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare general reports.
• Ability to prepare and use charts, graphs, and tables.
• Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment.
• Ability to understand, explain and apply the rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing departmental activities.
State Job Specifications are available in the Human Resources Office and/or the department web page: www.bridgew.edu/hr
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of higher education office management.
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher) strongly desired.
• Working knowledge of Outlook.
• Working knowledge of the Banner System for acquisition of Student Records.
• Experience working in a customer service driven environment.
• Experience working in a higher education environment.
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation for the application process, please complete and submit this electronic form: https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?BridgewaterStateUniv&layout_id=18
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Salary Range: $1,820.73 bi-weekly (Grade 15 Step 1)
Posting Number: S00972P
Open Date: 05/19/2023
Close Date: 6/7/2023
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position: *a minimum of one (1) employment history entry. *a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4204165
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
How to ApplyTo apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4204165
52 total views, 1 today