Full-Time Administrative Assistant, Democracy
At Third Plateau, we believe in the power of diverse teams. In our recruiting efforts, we always seek to reach a broad and diverse pool of applicants to ensure our final candidates are not a homogenous group in terms of demographics, beliefs, or experience. You can read more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) here. Furthermore, we have designed our application process (detailed at the bottom) to decrease implicit and explicit biases as much as possible. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Third Plateau is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, age, religious creed, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics.
NOW HIRING: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, DEMOCRACY
Position Overview: Third Plateau, a growing, multi-disciplinary social impact strategy firm, is looking for an organized, self-directed professional to serve as an Administrative Assistant on our democracy team. Under the guidance of one of Third Plateau’s Senior Directors, and based out of the San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento, the Administrative Assistant will help to coordinate key operations for Third Plateau’s democracy-oriented projects. Top candidates will be highly organized self-starters, able to work under tight deadlines, able to juggle multiple assignments simultaneously, and eager to learn.
Start Date: ASAP, ideally November 2021
Location: San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento, CA
(Remote is okay on a day-to-day basis, but this person will need to be able to travel to office in either Berkeley or Sacramento periodically.)
Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment and Third Plateau, as we are not able to sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
Annual Salary: $40-45,000 dependent upon experience (position will be eligible for annual year-end bonus and salary increase after completion of first year)
Benefits: In addition to collaborating with an incredible team of social impact professionals, benefits include:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Generous paid time off
- Wellness program ($500/year)
- Dedicated professional development budget
WHO WE ARE
Third Plateau is a multi-disciplinary social impact strategy firm with an aim to create a world with abundant and equitable opportunity for all. We are a team of over 30 people spread across the country, with the majority of us concentrated in Northern California. We partner with people and organizations with game-changing ideas to improve the world, and we help them maximize their impact. Our work is driven by six key principles:
- We care about impact. True innovation and meaningful change are difficult to achieve; we work with the organizations that we believe are inspired by and capable of meeting those challenges.
- Big ideas and creative problem solving excite us. We are at our best when we are formulating, thinking through, and executing new ideas and approaches.
- We value diversity, equity, and inclusion. Having diverse teammates and an inclusive work environment makes us a smarter, more creative, and effective team. We are passionate about empowering communities to drive profound social impact. We know that in order to succeed we must more closely reflect the backgrounds of the communities we aim to serve.
- Knowledge is absolutely essential to effective innovation. We are intensely curious and are voracious consumers of information and ideas from a variety of disciplines.
- We build next gen organizational and leadership capacity. Building and managing organizations is difficult work and often presents challenges that leadership and staff do not have the resources to address. Through our engagements, we provide an infusion of capacity, smart strategy, creativity, and coaching to help organizations thrive.
- Relationships and networks are how change happens. Relationship development is at the core of our work and we are very intentional about how we curate networks for maximum social impact.
We work in four main ways:
Social Venture Strategists
We partner with social entrepreneurs, nonprofits, public entities, leaders, and other mission-driven organizations around the world on program design, business planning, community engagement, metrics development, strategic planning, coaching and leadership development, development strategy, impact evaluation, and board development. We also partner with funders to provide capacity-building support to their grantees.
We advise individual donors, foundations, and companies on making their philanthropic giving more meaningful, strategic, and impactful; and we help funders think more expansively about their potential social impact.
We help private, family, and independent foundations become more effective by providing back office support, managing grants, and overseeing the financial administration and accounting of their operations.
We write, speak, and convene programs, aimed at dramatically advancing the work of the social sector.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Administrative Assistant will serve as an integral part of Third Plateau’s democracy team. Under the guidance of one of Third Plateau’s Senior Directors, the Administrative Assistant will help to coordinate and execute programs and operations for Third Plateau’s democracy projects through key administrative support and logistical activities.
Potential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing scheduling and administrative support to the democracy team through:
- Scheduling meetings and calls for team members and partners;
- Taking comprehensive notes and synthesizing key takeaways and action items from internal and external meetings;
- Managing IT coordination and conference room bookings;
- Supporting printing, copying, and mailing;
- Making travel arrangements for team members;
- Maintaining organization of project files and materials; and
- Providing general project management support, particularly around events and communications.
- Providing event planning support to the democracy team through:
- Managing logistics around event invitations/registration, including creating calendar invites, setting up Zoom lines, hosting calls, tracking attendees, and sending meeting reminders and follow up;
- Sourcing venues (e.g. restaurants and hotels) and vendors (e.g. audio/visual company, swag vendors, etc.) for event needs;
- Planning in-person event details such as menus, room layouts, audio/visual, and hotel room reservations for attendees;
- Acting as on-site coordinator and venue contact for events;
- Planning and monitoring event budgets; reviewing and approving vendor invoices;
- Creating event materials such as name tags, name tents, attendee lists, attendee bio books, etc.; and
- Editing recordings of virtual events and sharing with attendees;
- Managing communications and external materials for the democracy team through:
- Formatting content (in Word, PowerPoint, Mailchimp, etc.);
- Creating event graphics/banners; and
- Making basic website updates (e.g. posting events and resources) and managing external contractors to make larger changes.
- Assisting the democracy team with data tracking by:
- Tracking network membership, event participation, donations, etc. in online database; and
- Contributing ideas for improvements to our data systems (Airtable, Mailchimp, Google Forms)
WHO YOU ARE
To be successful in this job, you will excel in the following key areas:
You are extremely organized. You will be proactive about making sure our systems hum efficiently and are free of clutter and confusion.
Attention to detail
You pay attention to the small details and are not satisfied until the job is done.
You are a strong communicator who can write clearly and succinctly. An eye for design would also be an asset.
We don’t expect you to know everything, but we do expect you to be an eager and perceptive learner.
You are practiced at working in a fast-paced work environment and able to stay focused when juggling many projects and deadlines.
You value relationships and are able to build trust and goodwill with individuals across political, religious, economic, racial, and other divides.
Other important things to note:
- Top candidates will be comfortable working alongside people with whom they have deep disagreements; able to be transparent about their own beliefs without being restricted by them; and invested in building bridges and finding common ground.
- Third Plateau is a quickly growing company that embraces a start-up attitude. Our democracy work is likely to continue expanding over the coming years and we are looking for someone who wants to grow with us.
- Top candidates will firmly believe that diversity of experiences and voices leads to better outcomes, and they will have demonstrated a consistent commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion both personally and professionally.
- We are a decentralized, remote team. You should be comfortable with working remotely, as well as comfortable with the prospect of travel when it is safe. The position will likely entail 3-5 domestic trips per year lasting several days each. Hours are generally regular full-time but overtime, nights, and weekends may be required periodically, including during travel.
- Basic fluency in Microsoft Office, Social Media platforms, marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp, Canva, WordPress, Squarespace), database management platforms (e.g. Airtable) or ability to learn.
- Third Plateau does require the selected candidate in this position to be vaccinated against COVID-19 since the administrative assistant role will require moments of working in the office and attending in-person meetings. We will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application using the following form as soon as you can, with the first review starting September 20, 2021:
Application Form: https://airtable.com/shrotxNV6xZwS0X4n
The form will require the following information:
- Your full name
- Your phone number (including area code)
- Your email address
- Where you heard about this position
You will also be required to upload two SEPARATE documents:
- A one-page PDF that answers three questions:
- Why do this position and firm make sense for the next step in your career?
- What skills and experiences of yours make you uniquely qualified to enhance the Third Plateau democracy team and our work through this position?
- What are one or two important ways in which your particular background and formative experiences influence what you contribute to a team?
Please note when responding to these questions that we are aware one page does not provide a lot of space. We are NOT looking for you to pack as much in as you possibly can. Your responses will be scored both on their substance, as well as on the extent to which they succinctly and clearly answer the questions.
Please save this PDF with the following title structure: Admin –Written Submission [seven-digit phone number with no dashes]. Your seven-digit phone number (i.e., your phone number WITHOUT the area code) will be used as an internal identification number to separate your application materials from your name and contact information during the initial review process.
- Your resume with the following modifications:
- Your seven-digit phone number (i.e., your phone number WITHOUT the area code), with no dashes, in the place of your name.
- Remove any reference to your home address and email.
Please save this name-free PDF with the following title structure: Admin – Resume [seven-digit phone number with no dashes] As described above, your seven-digit phone number (i.e., your phone number WITHOUT the area code) will be used as an internal identification number to separate your application materials from your name and contact information during the initial review process.
We are working hard to refine a review process that minimizes implicit and explicit biases, so welcome to the latest iteration of our experiment to do just that! Please note that if your application does not follow the specific directions outlined above, it is possible that it will not be considered. We hope you can get creative and have fun with it!
Our process: Once applications are submitted, a Third Plateau team member will review on a rolling basis. Applications will receive priority review if they are submitted by September 20, 2021. We will review and score written submissions and resumes separately and without reference to name or contact information (per the instructions above about how to save your files). From there, a group of applicants will be invited to phone interviews, at which point your application will be associated with your name. From phone interviews, a smaller group of finalists will be invited to at least one more round of interviews, which will be conducted by video.
How to ApplySee above job description.
91 total views, 2 today