Part-Time Academic Mentor
TITLE: ACADEMIC MENTOR
LOCATION: VARIOUS LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT SAN FRANCISCO (VISIT WWW.MYEEP.ORG/LOCATIONS)
COMPENSATION: DOE, 19 HOURS A WEEK (CASUAL; NON-EXEMPT)
TENTATIVE START DATE: NOVEMBER 2019
The Mayor’s Youth Employment and Education Program (MYEEP) is a citywide collaboration of ten non-profit organizations in San Francisco and provides paid work experience to over 1000 San Francisco high school youth annually. MYEEP leverages the desire of young people to be employed to engage them in job readiness training, youth development, and educational activities. The Academic Mentor Program, now in its fifth year, provides participants with academic enrichment. Each MYEEP location has a dedicated Academic Mentor who facilitates skill-based workshops, monitors academic success, and provides tutoring.
MYEEP is a youth workforce program of JCYC. JCYC Youth Workforce Programs provide youth employment opportunities and experiences that enhance the lifelong employability, earning potential and development of program participants. The JCYC Workforce Programs consist of the largest youth employment programs in San Francisco, and includes MYEEP, San Francisco YouthWorks (SFYW), Project Pull, JCYC STEM Academy and SSIP CitiWorks Internship Program, together providing subsidized employment experiences as well as other learning activities to over 2,000 San Francisco youth annually. For more information about MYEEP or JCYC, go to www.myeep.org or www.jcyc.org.
JCYC Youth Workforce Programs provide youth employment opportunities and experiences that enhance the lifelong employability, earning potential and development of program participants. The JCYC Workforce Programs consist of the largest youth employment programs in San Francisco, and includes The Mayor’s Youth Employment & Education Program (MYEEP), San Francisco Youth Works (SFYW), Project Pull, JCYC STEM Academy and SSIP CitiWorks Internship Program, together providing subsidize employment experiences as well as other learning activities to over nearly 2,000 San Francisco youth annually.
The MYEEP Academic Mentor will work out of one partner agency in the San Francisco community to provide high quality academic support for program participants. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of working effectively with youth of color in low-income communities. This is a part time, 19 hour a week position. The Academic Mentor reports directly to the Academic Mentor Program Coordinator.
● Support youth ages 14-16 in improving overall academic performance during the academic year
● Create and facilitate weekly academic focused workshops for MYEEP participants
● Lead small group tutorial sessions in a variety of subjects
● Create and maintain a supportive learning environment for participants
● Able to create individual academic success plans for each youth
● Communicate with school administrators, teachers, counselors, and parents/guardians to obtain report cards, progress reports and student updates
● Monitor and maintain attendance from tutorial sessions and other vital records
● Track and input participant grades using Salesforce database
● Attend MYEEP weekly workshops to provide classroom management support
● Attend MYEEP and JCYC program wide events
● Support program specific civic engagement activities to ensure participants understand the importance of participating in the democratic process
● Participate in advocacy initiatives prioritized by JCYC
● Available 4-5 days/week, Monday – Friday during after school hours (approximately 2:30pm-6:30 p.m.)
● Available Fridays for bi-monthly training meetings at JCYC main office
● Experience working with diverse populations of youth
● Strong understanding of high school level math (Algebra, Geometry); English, science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics); history, and language electives (Spanish, Chinese)
● Effectively exercise behavior management skills
● Provide strong mentorship and guidance
● Demonstrate compassion, patience, reliability, and professionalism
● Competency with Microsoft Office and Google G Suite
● Able to commit to duration of the MYEEP program session: September 2019 – May 2020
● A college student or recent graduate
● Experience working with at-risk youth
● Strong understanding of youth development
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume, and schedule of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications who do not include all the following may not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications are encouraged.
Salary: $18.00 to $20.00 /hour
Please Note:MYEEP and JCYC actively seek to hire and promote individuals, recruit volunteers and provide services to individuals without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious creed, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or presence of non-job related conditions or disabilities.All employees of the JCYC participate in a criminal background investigation. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, MYEEP and JCYC will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
How to ApplyEmail cover letter, resume, and schedule of availability to email@example.com . Applications who do not include all the following may not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications are encouraged.
43 total views, 2 today