Finance DirectorRiver Network – Posted by NSILK
POSITION SUMMARY: River Network seeks a dedicated and organized finance professional to oversee its finance, accounting, employee benefits, and information technology operations. This includes leadership and management of finances/accounting, benefits and payroll administration, grant intake and financial oversight, and the overall information technology roadmap for River Network. S/he must have excellent communication and presentation skills; experience working with a distributed team and in close alignment with philanthropy staff; familiarity with program development and work force projections; grant budget development, tracking, and reporting (and managing third-party providers); excellence in nonprofit budgeting and time management; and a complete grasp of restricted v. unrestricted revenue. This is a senior position on our team, a member of our Leadership Team, and a partner to our Treasurer and other members of our Board of Directors. We are looking for a team player, with an entrepreneurial spirit, who is excited about helping achieve a future where everyone has access to affordable, clean water and healthy rivers. For more information, see our current strategic plan. The right candidate will also have an uncanny ability to build trust and rapport with staff, board members, and external colleagues and contractors. Full time, exempt $70,000 - $80,000/year DOE plus comprehensive benefits including: medical, dental, and vision health insurance; 403b retirement savings plan; vacation and sick leave; employee assistance program; life insurance; technology stipend; and paid holidays. ABOUT RIVER NETWORK: River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado and we have staff located in communities across the U.S. We are committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission – explore our core values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, our explanation for why equity, diversity an inclusion are the foundation of our mission, and our principles for equitable and inclusive work. Through our programs, we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. Through our internal practices and external leadership, we seek an inclusive workplace culture that attracts diverse staff, board, members, and supporters. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Organizational Financial Management
- Lead and coordinate the development of River Network’s annual budget, work with appropriate staff to develop and finalize their departmental/functional budgets, present budget details to Finance Committee and Board of Directors, and integrate final into QuickBooks Online.
- Direct the organization's monthly financial and accounting operations in collaboration with external contractors, including month-end functions, reconciliations, production of monthly financial statements, budget performance monitoring with department staff, expense reporting, accounts receivable and payables management, etc.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial reporting to funders and the President, Leadership Team, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Develop, modify, and/or maintain appropriate internal controls and financial policies and procedures to safeguard River Network assets and ensure sound financial management
- Remain up to date on nonprofit best practices and state and federal law related to nonprofits.
- Coordinate the annual external audit process and 990 federal tax return preparations.
- Supervise staff delivering operational support related to accounting and finance.
- Grant-Related Financial Management
- Participate in funding proposal and budget development to maximize River Network cost recovery.
- Provide timely financial reports for interim and final grant reports, and generate invoices on contracts, as requested by staff, funders, or in compliance with existing commitments.
- Maintain productive communications with program officers, financial staff at government agencies, sponsors of River Network, individual donors, and members.
- Information Technology
- Lead evolution of River Network's technology roadmap in collaboration with external contractors.
- Ensure new tools and services are consistent with the roadmap, including website and Salesforce integrations and cloud services, managing external relationships and deliverables, etc.
- Develop and utilize training, reporting and dashboards supporting organizational goals and metrics.
- Supervise staff and / or consultants delivering information technology support.
- Human Resources
- Responsible for compensation administration, including payroll and benefits, in coordination with payroll and benefits providers.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding staff functions.
- Support for Board of Directors and Finance Committee
- Provide staff support to River Network’s Finance Committee, including coordinating agenda preparation, attending meetings, presenting regular financial reports and others, as requested.
- Develop and present financial reporting for the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance preferred and minimum of five years of nonprofit financial management experience, ideally for an entity with operations in multiple states.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP as it applies to nonprofit organizations, experience with administration of government grants, and accounting for restricted revenue sources.
- Thorough understanding of and experience in using spreadsheets, accounting software, online payroll processing, MS Office programs, donor management / CRM software (e.g., Salesforce), and other electronic programs/software related to the tasks being performed (e.g., QuickBooks, Expensify, Bill.com, etc.). Experience utilizing technology solutions to improve outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to define and track deadlines, progress, and contributions of others and stay on track using project management approaches and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Positive attitude and excellent presentation skills, strong oral and written communications, a growth mindset and demonstrated strength under pressure.
- Proven ability as a leader to build and be a member of highly effective and well-functioning teams.
- Commitment to River Network’s Core Values, including respect, integrity, growth, and inclusion.
- Knowledge of river conservation, current issues in the water arena, challenges related to equity and working remotely, etc.
- Organizational Financial Management
- Date Posted
- 10 Sep 2020
Fetching Careerjet Job Listings
Fetching Indeed Job Listings